• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iconic jackets in the movies

Tim P

OK, aside from war movies where the characters whilst in uniform can be expected to wear military clothing, we have DeNiro in a ww2 tanker jacket and an M65 in Taxi driver and as a discharged vet in the deer hunter. Stallone wears an m65 in First blood. it appears in black on the back of clarence boddiker in robocop..
Where else do jackets that we discuss here appear in the movies? I know this might be a repeat of an old thread but worth a rehash..

airfrogusmc

Tim P said:
OK, aside from war movies where the characters whilst in uniform can be expected to wear military clothing, we have DeNiro in a ww2 tanker jacket and an M65 in Taxi driver and as a discharged vet in the deer hunter. Stallone wears an m65 in First blood. it appears in black on the back of clarence boddiker in robocop..
Where else do jackets that we discuss here appear in the movies? I know this might be a repeat of an old thread but worth a rehash..

Hey Tim theres what looks like an M 422/422a on Burt the cop in its a wonderful life.
Also a wool looking A-1 on the young George Baley

An epaulet-less A-2 on the Gene Hackman character in Bonnie & Clyde.

Starski has a G-1 in some of the episodes of Starski and Hutch

zoomer

Cary Grant is an icon, but the 37J1 he wears as a commercial mail pilot in Only Angels Have Wings (1939) looks pretty unremarkable on him. Maybe if Rita Hayworth and Jean Arthur weren't such delicious distractions.
only-angels-have-wings-hayworth-grant-arthur.jpg

equilibrium.jpg

Hollywood didn't warm up to the A-2 look until after Pearl Harbor. Robert Cummings wears a handsome civvy version in Saboteur (1942). Cummings was nobody's icon, but he and his horsehide see plenty of action together.
Saboteur-1.jpg

RCSignals

Tom Selleck wears an A-2 in some of the Jessie Stone movies.

the character 'Jake Cutter' wears an A-2 with Blood chit in 'Tales of the Gold Monkey'

zoomer

zoomer said:
Cary Grant is an icon, but the 37J1 he wears as a commercial mail pilot in Only Angels Have Wings (1939) looks pretty unremarkable on him. Maybe if Rita Hayworth and Jean Arthur weren't such delicious distractions.
5299944797_e4191232b2_o.jpg

equilibrium.jpg

Hollywood didn't warm up to the A-2 look until after Pearl Harbor. Robert Cummings wears a handsome civvy version in Saboteur (1942). Cummings was nobody's icon, but he and his horsehide see plenty of action together.
Saboteur-1.jpg

9thinfdiv

Does anyone know if the character "Psycho", or Francis, in the movie Stripes was wearing a repro A-2 or an original? Everytime I see that flick, I lean toward an original.

zoomer

Dang it, I appear to have double-posted.
Will a moderator kindly remove the 2nd posting of Cary Grant & Bob Cummings?
Thanks.

derleicaman

Watched 12 O'Clock High last night on a DVD I got for Christmas. Tremendous number of A-2's, B-3's and B-6's. Maybe even a D-1. Looked like there were some B-10's as well. Since the film was made only a few years after the end of the war, I'm sure most of the jackets were war-time issue. BTW, great movie, too!

grommet

This attests to the movie's authenticity.According to "The 12 O'Clock High Logbook" by Duffin and Matheis, 20th Century Fox asked the Air Force to provide "...surplus uniforms of various sizes. These included khaki flying coveralls (36 total), brown leather zippered jackets (50), leather high-altitude helmets with earphones (50), mechanic's coveralls (50 pair), shoes (25 pair), winter wool undershirts (25), green issue socks (125 pair) and even hospital bathrobes (25)." "...the Air Force Chief of Staff's office issued a directive on 18 March 1949 giving Air Material Command blanket permission to assist Twentieth Century Fox with 12 O'Clock High. As it turned out, the Air Force couldn't find the equipment and asked the Third Army quartermaster to help who found most of what was needed at Eglin AFB, where the studio happened to be building sets. The Army transfered the uniforms and other equipment to the Air Force which turned them over to the studio. The studio ended up returning all borrowed equipment to the Air Force "except for a couple of socks and a couple pairs of underwear!"

grommet

zoomer said:
only-angels-have-wings-hayworth-grant-arthur.jpg

equilibrium.jpg

Saboteur-1.jpg

How can you tell Cumming's A-2 is a civilian version? (By the way, he is an icon to me.)

deand

I think the epaullete on his jacket is a snap down, like an L-2. I think that would be a civilian feature. Pocket shape looks funny, too.

dean

grommet

You're right about the epaulettes. I found some additional photos that clearly show it. Cummings was, however, in the USAAF during the war as a flight instructor.