• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know the Navy jackets pretty well but this cafe jacket??

rpmooreii

Hi Guys,

I am pretty well versed in Navy jackets and have been fortunate to have had many vintage flight jackets and moto/utility jackets over the years. Many of you know my coillection at:

http://www.moorecustom.com/jackets

Yesterday I found this incredible cafe racer which is missing its liner. The leather (perhaps horse) is absolutely incredible and is better than any of the moto or utility jackets seen on my site. It is thick yet impeccably broken in. Better yet it fits as if it was tailored for me (sorry no as worn pics yet). The lining on this jacket was a red satin as seen by the portion still attached where the MIA and flag patches are located.

There are a couple of unique attributes, most notably the zig zag cut wind flap which appears to be original. The zips are all original and vintage Talon.

I want to put in a new liner but do not want satin. Rather I want a cotton canvas or flannel that will be more comfortable when worn w/ a short sleeve shirt (the satin lining are always cold to me :eek:) Since it will be a long term keeper (have to keep the one w/ the best leather you have seen in over 200 jackets, right?) I don't care that it will not be "original".

So my questions are:

1. Does anybody recognize the make of this jacket?
2. Where can I source the correct moto jacket canvas or flannel lining material? and how much will I need (jacket fits as a vintage 44 or 46).

Thanks!!

...Roger

cafe01.jpg

cafe03.jpg

cafe02.jpg

cafe04.jpg

cafe05.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: I know the Navy jackets pretty well but this cafe jacket

Dunno what it is ... but it sure is nice. :cool:

rpmooreii

Thanks David. I can not express how much I like this jacket and hope I can find a good source for a lining

...Roger

bseal

Previously, I have procured black nylon flight satin lining from Gibson & Barnes for a restoration project on a 50's CHP jacket. You would need approximately 3 to 4 yards. It is wonderfully strong (durable enough to construct an inside pocket out of it alone) and easy to slide in and out of.

asiamiles

bseal said:
Previously, I have procured black nylon flight satin lining from Gibson & Barnes for a restoration project on a 50's CHP jacket. You would need approximately 3 to 4 yards. It is wonderfully strong (durable enough to construct an inside pocket out of it alone) and easy to slide in and out of.
But he specifically stated he didn't want satin.

bseal

Are MA-1s made of nylon or satin? It's the same material that their MA-1s are constructed of. They call it "satin" but it is not rayon or acetate.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

• Flite Satin MA-1/A flight jackets are made from the same heavy Mil-Spec nylon twill the Air Force used for its MA-1 and L2-B flight jackets.

gibson-barnes