• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just bought an 1976 Imperial Leather G1...

Richard Cuellar

And love it! Thick, heavy leather, dark chocolate brown, slimming fit and no epaulets. I know Imperials get a bad rap among purists, but mine is a well constructed, great daily jacket.

John Lever

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the excellent photos, your jacket looks great and fits very well. The quality of photos from our new members is very high these days possibly because phones have such good cameras.

Richard Cuellar

Nice find. BTW. G-1's never had epaulets fitted to them.
Ah, I didn't know that. Ive never owned a contact G1, just a few Schott variations which both had epaulets. I bought this one locally from an older gentlemen who was the original owner. He said he never wore it and it just sat in his closet since the 70s. It looks brand new.

Last edited:

Jason

I love my Imperial as a daily wearer in the cooler months - which for us is just around the corner :)

daw

I seem to remember reading these Imperials are made of thick, squeaky steerhide. It's a great looking jacket. How does it feel? Any idea what it's made of?

galvestonokie

looks like you are happy with your find. congrats, and wear it well. these are very serviceable jackets and looks good on you. GO

Richard Cuellar

I seem to remember reading these Imperials are made of thick, squeaky steerhide. It's a great looking jacket. How does it feel? Any idea what it's made of?
Thick and squeaky leather, yes:) Its WAY quieter after some Lexol. It really is a GREAT jacket.

Juanito

Imperial are actually my favorite contract for the G-1. No other G-1 can compare to the heft and substance of the steer hide used for this jackets.

Marv

I picked up a 1977 Ralph Edwards G1 as month or so ago and compared to my 1971 Brill Bros, the hide is much thicker (even though it's same shade brown) and can tell one is goat and the other steerhide.
Both great jacket but the Brill Bros pips the Ralph Edwards on fit and quality.

Richard Cuellar

I picked up a 1977 Ralph Edwards G1 as month or so ago and compared to my 1971 Brill Bros, the hide is much thicker (even though it's same shade brown) and can tell one is goat and the other steerhide.
Both great jacket but the Brill Bros pips the Ralph Edwards on fit and quality.
Post some pix? I know some prefer goat G1's(my Langlitz riding jacket is goat), but I love the look and feel of heavy steer hide jackets.