HWT needed?

Discussion in 'Repros' started by wop54, Mar 28, 2017.

1. wop54

wop54 Member

IMG_0682.JPG Here is my A2. Do you think that it's too big on me (I actually think it is)? Thinking of a HWT. Could you give a step-by-step, all-thumbs-proof method to do it properly? I do not have a dryer. Thanks in advance for your help!

coalman likes this.
  2. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

NOOOOOO HWT, looks great - nice and roomy, looks like there is still room for a sweater or thicker shirt!!!!

wop54 likes this.
  3. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

I would not ,besides I do not think it would work on this companies hide !.

BIP

wop54 likes this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

I'm another in the no HWT camp. I don't like to do anything with my jackets apart from wearing them. Problem with things like HWT is you can make the zipper fabric sides shrink which makes the zipper super wavy, the lining can (most likely will) shrink at a different rate from the leather which can bugger up the whole look.

Carlo, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that A-2, looks fine and is well within the confines of the kind of fit you can see in period pics. It looks absolutely great and I'd put money on it being comfortable to wear in everyday situations.

If it was me, I'd stop worrying about it, and first and foremost just wear the hell out of it. I have an A-2 that is too trim in the shoulders and arms for me now, and I tell you what, I'd be thrilled if mine fit like that.

Of course it's horses for courses, but I reckon you happen to actually have a pretty nice looking nag who's running well and pushing for a place at Ascot ;)

wop54 likes this.
  5. omarco

omarco Member

go on then just for a bit of balance, if it was me i'd give it a hot/warm soak in the bath, let it drip dry then wear it until dry... no dryer!

wop54 likes this.
  6. seres

seres New Member

It looks like it fits you well… the sleeves are about right, and the length is about right. I would NOT do any HWT. Why risk ruining something nice?

wop54 likes this.
  7. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Member

Non ti azzardare a permettere l'acqua calda al tatto quella giacca. Capire? Pensi troppo.

wop54 likes this.
  8. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

as an older guy, i have come to the bigger is better then the "right" fit. over time, and a coupla rain showers, it will shrink incrementally. if ya just have to make it a nominally smaller, leave it in the summer sun, turning it over, side to side, from day to day. down side? this laid in the sun process may very well lighten the hide color to varying degrees, depending on the hide type, how it was tanned, and dyed.

FlyingYankee and wop54 like this.
  9. wop54

wop54 Member

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will keep the jacket as it is and apply a simple HWT (hot wearing treatment :)). Un grazie speciale a Garylafortuna per l'ottimo suggerimento in italiano ;)!

Steve27752 likes this.
  10. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Member

Bravo Carlo.

wop54 likes this.
  11. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

great move Carlo!

wop54 likes this.
  12. wop54

wop54 Member

IMG_20170331_183236.jpg I could not resist and hot watered the sleeves that, to me, were too long. After they dried in the open air are a couple of centimeter shorter and now fit better. The leather developed some nice grain
    View attachment 766

coalman, bn1966, Roughwear and 3 others like this.
  13. Steve27752

Steve27752 Active Member

I was about to say that the sleeves were slightly too long. But, they are now much better.

wop54 likes this.
  14. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Looking much better Carlo. Well done.

wop54 likes this.
  15. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Member

Carlo, you are a rascal. Jacket looks splendiferous. You done good uomo. You are both now ready for some serious adventures.

wop54 likes this.
  16. seres

seres New Member

I like the corrected sleeve length. I thought the sleeves looks fine before, but looking closely at the larger picture, they look even better now. Congrats!

17. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

I'll admit the sleeves do look better, nice one Carlo!

wop54 likes this.
  18. bn1966

bn1966 Member

Yours looks great Carlo!! I've got an A-2 that's a bit 'trim' now...any tips for stretching it Gents???

wop54 likes this.
  19. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

Unfortunately BN, IMO once they get too trim, there's only really two options: get smaller or sell. I've packed on some size in my upper body over the last couple of years and unfortunately am also the owner of a too trim A-2. Mind you I've got the perfect solution - go to Duxford and buy a new ELC one :D

bn1966 and wop54 like this.
  20. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

way to go carlo, mo betta. you can get 1/2", maybe more in sleeve length, back length, and or, body width by soaking the bejesus out of the area to be made wider-longer, and with a good grip gently tug, and tug some more, and tug some more, being sure that you have separated the liner material [lift the hide up with one hand while holding the liner with the other] from the hide, or you may tear the liner. set the jacket aside, away from heat, and out of the sun, and as it is drying, yes you got it, tug some more. depending on the hide density, it may work with one shot at this, or may take two or three shots. the above does not apply to you, carlo, hahahha.

bn1966 likes this.