• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

https://www.stripes.com/luck-goodwill-reuniting-wwii-vet-with-bomber-jacket-1.218471#.Wdq_AltSzcs

Smithy

That really is a great story and good on that fellow for hunting down and sending the jacket back to the old boy.

Edward

wow! $17? at a goodwill? in THAT shape? perfect paint on the back... I hate to say if it was me that jacket would still be on my back! LOL! but I'm glad it wasn't me... great story and sounds like the original owner will be very happy and proud to have it back in the family. someone at Goodwill or whoever had it to give to goodwill probably thought it was a repro.

B-Man2

That was a great story!
I live near Jacksonville Florida Naval Air Station.
I've got Goodwill and Salvation Army Stores out the ying yang all around me.
Tomorrow, I'm going to everyone of them;)

MikeyB-17

17 bucks? Aeeesh. See, you guys in the states have at least half a chance of still coming across stuff like that in charity shops. In the unlikely event anything like that showed up in one over here, they would have it on Ebay. Most of ours have too good an idea what things are worth, although I have had some cracking charity shop bargains. A mate of mine bought an Irvin in one, but that was in the 60’s, and he paid £25 which was a lot of money in those days.

Edward

what's more awesome is that it ended up being found by someone who knew what it was and had the heart to research and connect it back to the original owner.... anyone could have bought it and it would have been lost again for who knows how long.. and until it rotted at the seams.... but instead ended up in the right hands by pure fate!