• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How were the Wings mounted on the WW2 A-2's?

How were the Wings mounted on the WW2 A-2's. I posted my wings below. I could use help on getting this wright.

picserve.jpg

Vcruiser

I'm not sure that I've seen wool wings on an A2...usually they are leather embossed...painted on a leather strip...painted on the jacket...or bullion. However since bullion is sewn directly to the jacket..I'm sure that a wool patch would work the same way.

Cheers
Van

Stony

Those wings you have on the blue wool are almost always sewn on ike and four pocket jackets. I've never seen them on leather or cloth flight jackets.

MikeyB-17

The blue patch indicated that the wearer was part of a combat crew-they were worn on cloth uniforms, and not usually seen on A-2's. If they had wings at all, A-2's often had leather ones like you see in Van's pic, or some guys had them painted on.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chevelle man here is an example of wings on an A-2 ,

RF9BSQD.jpg

Rgds Jeff . to who ever you are man without a name ?

Curahee

MikeyB-17 said:
The blue patch indicated that the wearer was part of a combat crew-they were worn on cloth uniforms, and not usually seen on A-2's. If they had wings at all, A-2's often had leather ones like you see in Van's pic, or some guys had them painted on.

Indeed, like this example:

RoughWea_390thBG-570thBS-8thAAF9.jpg

RoughWea_390thBG-570thBS-8thAAF11.jpg

RoughWea_390thBG-570thBS-8thAAF15.jpg