• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to remove musty smell from jacket lining

photo2u

Friends,

I just got this very nice half belt horse hide. I cleaned and condition the jacket with lexol conditioner. However, there is a very strong musty smell coming from the quilted lining. Any advice in how to remove the smell?

Please advice,
G.

Attachments

• lk;lkllllll.jpg
    lk;lkllllll.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 302
  • kjhkjhkjjjkkkkk.jpg
    kjhkjhkjjjkkkkk.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 426
  • s-l1600jhkjh.jpg
    s-l1600jhkjh.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 393

Vcruiser

I would advise turning it inside out and hanging it on a hanger in the outside air, possibly for a few days. This should solve the musty smell. Careful with any spray such as FreBreeze which can discolor or fade the liner.

photo2u

Thanks for the advice! I have the jacket sit on a table inside out for several days. I will follow your instruction. I will keep you guys up dated!

Garylafortuna

Exposure to direct sunlight works very well to eliminate musty odors. The most effective way is to expose the jacket lining to ozone, but the trick there is finding somebody who has an ozone generator. Greatest thing for freshening up closets and dresser drawers. Kills moths and larvae and mold as well.

Smithy

I second the advice of fresh air and sunshine. Really is amazing how a good airing for a few days can freshen a musty jacket. Did it last summer with one that had been stored for a long time, after 3 days it was fine.

photo2u

Friends,

The jacket has been hanging on the sun. The smell still there but there is hope. I will continue with this procedure and keep you gents informed.