How to Remove Heat Transfer Decal from Nylon L-2A?

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by falcon_ib, Dec 10, 2017.

1. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Member

I'm thinking about ordering a Bronson L-2A (they call it an L-2B but I can live with one wrong letter on the spec label). However, they have Army Air Forces decals on the sleeve and inside back panel which I'd really like to replace with correct US Air Force decals.

It looks like a pretty good repro for the price ($100 on Amazon here in the US). Just a few details off like the knits not being tubular, right-hand zipper not a blackened conmar, incorrect spec tag, and decals.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2017...tage-us-air-force-L2B-jacket/32810162078.html

So does anyone have a good way to remove the decals? I'd try using a heat gun but I don't want to melt the nylon. Suggestions?

Evan

HTB1vdN3RXXXXXXrXXXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg HTB1qGFlRXXXXXaeaXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg

2. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

I do nt think removal will be an option....Could you paint over/dye the existing decal and put the new one over the top?

falcon_ib likes this.
  3. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I'm with Steve. I think your options in terms of removal are very limited.

One thing I will say do NOT put a heat gun anywhere near it, you will damage the jacket without a doubt. I've been removing the tar from the hull of a 100 year old Nordlandsb├ąt (type of traditional boat here) with a heat gun of late and I shudder to think what it would do to a nylon jacket.

falcon_ib likes this.
  4. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Nice looking jacket for the price!

falcon_ib likes this.
  5. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Perhaps you could try removing or covering the S from forces and replace ARMY with US. Just a thought. The B-3 s that AliExpress are flogging have the US Airforce decal on the sleeve. Go
    figure.

falcon_ib likes this.
  6. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Active Member

leave it alone or for max paint it over - maybe some slight scratches with a sharp knife or scalpel might help but you will not be able to remove that whole think without damages of the jacket - would be maybe different with a leather surface but not with the nylon

falcon_ib likes this.