How to measure a jacket correctly tutorial

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Anonymous, May 28, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, felt the need to show this because apparently there is no certainty about how correct measurements are taken and would like to clarify things and eliminate the possibilities of misunderstandings and disputes.

First of all, you need a measuring tape. Don't come with a yardstick, this is for a different job.

[​IMG]
    Shoulders. The easiest. Jacket should be zipped up all the way, laid flat on a table, grab the shoulders and pull until leather becomes straight, but without stretching it. Measure from shoulder tip to shoulder tip. (Photo doesn't show exactly what I want, I will post another one later, it's a start though).

[​IMG]
    Back. Put the measuring tape at the bottom of the collar and making sure the jacket lays completely flat, run it over it until the end of the knitted waistband. Simple.

[​IMG]
    This is the correct sleeve measurement. Measuring the outer edge of the sleeve. Its maximum length. Don't do it as shown in the photo below. It's wrong.

[​IMG]
    Wrong! See? One inch shorter.

[​IMG]
    Chest. Grab the jacket under the armpits and pull until it becomes straight. Don't pull to hard you don't want to stretch it. Again, my photo isn't the best. Left side OK, right side not perfectly straight, but anyway, that's how the pit to pit measurement is taken.

Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

here's a better photo for the shoulders, I wanted the shoulder tips to be visible on both sides (that wasn't the case in the first photo above)

[​IMG]
    Of course you are supposed to hold the jacket with both hands, but I let go the right side because had to take the photo.

3. a2jacketpatches

a2jacketpatches Active Member

Thanks, the curve of the arm is a good point, never crossed my mind.

4. Jaguar46

Jaguar46 New Member

The shoulders, back and chest are pretty much how you would expect people to measure. The sleeve length is a problem in that no one ever mentions how they took the measurement. Either way would give me the information I need, but I never see anyone describe "sleeve measurement taken along outside curve of the sleeve". So when looking in ads, I just assume it was done using the straight method.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The sleeve measurement should be taken starting at the middle of the shoulder (where the shoulder seam would be if there was no epaulet) going down the side of the sleeve until the end of cuff.

6. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Thanks Platon, that's how I do it too.

7. TankBuster

TankBuster Active Member

Very good post that I hope everyone uses. There's nothing more annoying than buying a jacket that has your measurements listed perfectly, and then getting it and finding it was measured wrong.

8. Nickb123

Nickb123 Member

Platon, in about half of the jackets I've owned, the manufacturer counts the front overhang part when measuring the back length. I assume from your picture that your back measurement is 25", not conting the front dip. Is this the correct way?

9. Rutger

Rutger Active Member

Good tutorial, I hope everyone does measure this way.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for your question. The back stops at 25", that's the correct way.

11. GoodTimesGone

GoodTimesGone New Member

This is exactly how I've measured every jacket that I've sold on ebay and I've never had a complaint about the fit when they received it. I also mention if the jacket is tapered towards the belly region (as in the case of older Schott Perfectos and some USN G-1s). In these unusual cases I'll state something like "I wear size 33 waist and don't have a protruding belly and it's a bit snug on me. If you're any larger it will be too tight".
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Tom

12. soshe

soshe New Member

A nice tutorial. Thank for taking the time to produce it.

13. FredS

FredS New Member

Great but I see that the shoulder measurement is often illustrated in a different way namely shoulder seam to shouder seam but across the top of the shouder. That gives a different measurement then the way you show. Now which is the correct way?
    [​IMG]

14. Rutger

Rutger Active Member

The OP shows the measurements of the jacket, not of the body.
    Your illustrations shows the measurements on the body, of the body.
    Given the curve of the body it'd be hard to project that same curve with a measuring tape when measuring the jacket lying flat.
    The OP makes for a good way of comparing different jackets with the same reference measurements.

well, my €0.02, feel free to disagree.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fred s is using the "Langlitz" measuring method.

My Langlitz "bomber" jacket has sleeves measuring 29 inches "around the curve" but the knits accordion up and in the sleeve when wearing the jacket. When I extend my arms the knit just slides right out with the full 26.5 inch leather sleeve covering my entire arm. Very comfortable driving with it on.

My Eastman jackets' sleeves measure 26.5 and when I extend my arm the knits or the cuff on the anj4 rides up my arm.

16. lovnik

lovnik New Member

You should set up a "how to" article @ Ebay. Hundreds of sellers of clothing, and jackets in particular, would benefit from your photographic tutorial.