• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to measure a jacket correctly tutorial

A

Anonymous

OK, felt the need to show this because apparently there is no certainty about how correct measurements are taken and would like to clarify things and eliminate the possibilities of misunderstandings and disputes.

First of all, you need a measuring tape. Don't come with a yardstick, this is for a different job.

IMG_2221.jpg

Shoulders. The easiest. Jacket should be zipped up all the way, laid flat on a table, grab the shoulders and pull until leather becomes straight, but without stretching it. Measure from shoulder tip to shoulder tip. (Photo doesn't show exactly what I want, I will post another one later, it's a start though).

IMG_2222.jpg

Back. Put the measuring tape at the bottom of the collar and making sure the jacket lays completely flat, run it over it until the end of the knitted waistband. Simple.

IMG_2224.jpg

This is the correct sleeve measurement. Measuring the outer edge of the sleeve. Its maximum length. Don't do it as shown in the photo below. It's wrong.

IMG_2227.jpg

Wrong! See? One inch shorter.

IMG_2228.jpg

Chest. Grab the jacket under the armpits and pull until it becomes straight. Don't pull to hard you don't want to stretch it. Again, my photo isn't the best. Left side OK, right side not perfectly straight, but anyway, that's how the pit to pit measurement is taken.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

here's a better photo for the shoulders, I wanted the shoulder tips to be visible on both sides (that wasn't the case in the first photo above)

IMG_2229.jpg

Of course you are supposed to hold the jacket with both hands, but I let go the right side because had to take the photo.

Jaguar46

The shoulders, back and chest are pretty much how you would expect people to measure. The sleeve length is a problem in that no one ever mentions how they took the measurement. Either way would give me the information I need, but I never see anyone describe "sleeve measurement taken along outside curve of the sleeve". So when looking in ads, I just assume it was done using the straight method.

A

Anonymous

The sleeve measurement should be taken starting at the middle of the shoulder (where the shoulder seam would be if there was no epaulet) going down the side of the sleeve until the end of cuff.

TankBuster

Very good post that I hope everyone uses. There's nothing more annoying than buying a jacket that has your measurements listed perfectly, and then getting it and finding it was measured wrong.

Nickb123

Platon, in about half of the jackets I've owned, the manufacturer counts the front overhang part when measuring the back length. I assume from your picture that your back measurement is 25", not conting the front dip. Is this the correct way?

A

Anonymous

Platon, in about half of the jackets I've owned, the manufacturer counts the front overhang part when measuring the back length. I assume from your picture that your back measurement is 25", not conting the front dip. Is this the correct way?

Thanks for your question. The back stops at 25", that's the correct way.

GoodTimesGone

This is exactly how I've measured every jacket that I've sold on ebay and I've never had a complaint about the fit when they received it. I also mention if the jacket is tapered towards the belly region (as in the case of older Schott Perfectos and some USN G-1s). In these unusual cases I'll state something like "I wear size 33 waist and don't have a protruding belly and it's a bit snug on me. If you're any larger it will be too tight".
________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

I've made this a sticky and also copied it to the Repro and General sections - hopefully this will help us no matter where we purchase a jacket.

Platon, thanks for doing it.

regius

This is how I measured my jackets. Still one question on the sleeves, the outer curve should be longer than the straight, but when the arms are hung on each side of the body, it is not the outer curve that matters, the outer curve (pre curve) matters when you bend and reach your arms. so if my effective arm length is 25, it is then the tip of shoulder to end of cuff in a straight line that should be at 25, at this point, the outer curve will be longer, like 26 for example.

So if I advertise the jacket, I can't say the sleeve is 26, even if the buyer assumes I measured the outer curver (which is what I intended to mean in the ads), I need to say both the straight line and the curve, as different jacket are pre-curved differently. The buyer needs to know where the cuff maybe when the arms are hung/relaxed on the sides of the body.

Jeff M

regius said:
This is how I measured my jackets. Still one question on the sleeves, the outer curve should be longer than the straight, but when the arms are hung on each side of the body, it is not the outer curve that matters, the outer curve (pre curve) matters when you bend and reach your arms. so if my effective arm length is 25, it is then the tip of shoulder to end of cuff in a straight line that should be at 25, at this point, the outer curve will be longer, like 26 for example.

So if I advertise the jacket, I can't say the sleeve is 26, even if the buyer assumes I measured the outer curver (which is what I intended to mean in the ads), I need to say both the straight line and the curve, as different jacket are pre-curved differently. The buyer needs to know where the cuff maybe when the arms are hung/relaxed on the sides of the body.

To avoid confusion, refer potential buyers to this thread to see how you are measuring the jacket.

Vcruiser

Yes...because if you order a repro with a 25" sleeve. It won't measure 25" in a straight line down the middle of sleeve..but should measure 25" on outside of sleeve to end of cuff.
Van

bozko

Platon & All-Can You repost the Pics re correct measurements.This is a 10 yrs old thread & the jpg's are gone.Thanks

Chandler

Platon & All-Can You repost the Pics re correct measurements.This is a 10 yrs old thread & the jpg's are gone.Thanks

Page 2, post #23 in this sticky thread.

leper-colony

Page 2, post #23 in this sticky thread.

Direct link to that page and post:

Chandler

Direct link to that page and post:

Where's the adventure in that? ;)