• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to date a WEP!

oose

Hi all,
Just been given a WEP, zip is shot but does zip up after a fashion, label is missing but it doles feel to be a 60's model to me. Its my first WEP so I'm a bit unsure of their evolution. It looks identical to the one Gene Sernan is wearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All the best
Stu

watchmanjimg

The Conmar main zipper is usually an indicator of 1968 or earlier manufacture. Typically later examples are marked Scovill. I can't say this is 100% the case, but it's been my experience. The tendency seems consistent in multiple examples of the same contract. For instance, certain MA-1s (I believe the March 1, 1968 contract) feature main zippers with Scovill-marked slider pulls and Conmar-marked boxes. :eek:

Peter Graham

Nice one Stu. I know that I've seen that photo before but do you have any background on it ? I'm curious as both those guys are wearing WW2 era belts.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Nice one Stu. I know that I've seen that photo before but do you have any background on it ? I'm curious as both those guys are wearing WW2 era belts.

Peter, here's a link from an earlier thread incorporating this and other pics of astronaut David Scott and colleagues:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10313&hilit=carpenter

From their apparent lighter color I'd agree that the pistol belts are of WW2 vintage, but the M1936-pattern belts were still in production as late as 1957 and some were worn in Vietnam well into the 1960s. Thus, it would not be terribly unusual to see them worn during this 1965 training exercise.

bebel

Hi Stu,
Nice jacket. I always have liked the 'Jacket, Winter Flying Suit' most often called 'WEP' or even 'G-8' (I do not know why). Yours might be from the 60's MiL-S-18342 or 18342B model. On the late 18342C version the knit cuffs have the 'triangular' form and are going up on the arm. Though I'm not sure that all C models have this type of knit.
Franck