• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Attach a Patch With No Stich Holes

wop54

I tried to figure out how to attach a patch without damaging the leather in any way, and wear it only for a special occasion, such us airshow, historical vehicols reunions...etc, changing your patch as you please.
I won't go so far to call the result excellent, but i could agree on calling it "accettable".
I used a bi-adhesive Velcro strap. The only advice is to "touch" a few times with your fingers the side of the strap that has to be attached to the leather, in order to decrease a bit the strenght of the glue. The patch can be easily removed without any sign left on the leather. Cheers, Carlo
IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0063-1.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Chandler

Be careful, if you leave the adhesive on long enough, it will damage the leather's finish.

Chandler

wop54

Chandler said:
Be careful, if you leave the adhesive on long enough, it will damage the leather's finish.

Chandler
Thanks for the advice! That could be worse than stich holes :eek:

Chandler

wop54 said:

If you have a look at the ELC 27752 I have for sale, you can see both!! It looks as though tape was used to hold the patch in place as it was stitched to the jacket, resulting in the tiny holes and the finish pulled when the patch was removed.

And... since it looks like the ELC Star you have was finished the same as mine, I know that surface finish is fragile!

Chandler

wop54

Chandler said:
wop54 said:

If you have a look at the ELC 27752 I have for sale
i did have several looks at your ELC: it's a terrific roomy 44 and im pretty sure it could fit me good... Im looking for a russet A2 first. Cheers Carlo

wop54

Chandler said:
wop54 said:
Im looking for a russet A2 first.

Sorry that wasn't a sales pitch, more for educational purposes of the damage potential of adhesives!

Chandler
Hey don't knock the sales pitches! :D im in sales you know, i love them! :D i know it wasn't but i really like your jacket. Im sure it will sell quickly to a new loving and caring owner! All the best, Carlo

rob75IT

Ciao Carlo
Just sew some thin metal stripes on the patch and than with a magnet you will be able to fast it from the inside the jacket. If the magnet is quite strong the patch should not move at all.

wop54

rob75IT said:
Ciao Carlo
Just sew some thin metal stripes on the patch and than with a magnet you will be able to fast it from the inside the jacket. If the magnet is quite strong the patch should not move at all.
. Grazie Roberto! They say that to keep your mind young you must learn something new everyday. You made my day!!!

zoomer

I've used double-sided carpet tape, but only on finishes I knew were super tough (eg: Lost Worlds chrome tanning). I didn't leave it on for very long, either. Over time, adhesives will mess up just about anything.

For anything approaching realism, you'd need to run non-functioning stitches around the rim of the patch, anyway, to create the effect of being sewn on.

The magnetic holder idea is not new. It dates back at least to the 1930s and was used, for example, in tropical areas with no dry cleaning facilities. Items like wool tropicals had to be handwashed, but the patch colors could run and damage the item. So patches were held on with thin, invisible magnetic clasps on either side of the fabric, and removed for washday.
(I read this several years ago on a website which appears to have been taken down. Google gave no useful results, so I have no further info. Does anyone?)

I would think that magnetic clasps meant for lined leather would have to be very powerful.