• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to age a new patches

Curahee

As some of you know I painted a 23rd FG patch myself and bought some other patches from G & B (AAF+CBI patch) in order to make a 14th AAF/23rd FG jacket of my ELC Monarch A-2.
Sjanghai Joe and others mentioned on the previous forum that the leather Bloodchit should be on the back of the jacket instead of the inside as pocket..so I took it off and as we speak is being sewn to the back of my jacket. Anyway to make a long story short...all these patches are by far to NEW looking, so how to age them ? some use stain or tea but how to age
it in such a way that it looks kind of 65 years old, here's a pick of the jacket (withe the Chit still inside) and the patches

CBI022.jpg
CBI015.jpg

CBI012.jpg
CBI007.jpg

23rd005.jpg
CBI008.jpg

A

Anonymous

Curahee said:
Sjanghai Joe and others mentioned on the previous forum that the leather Bloodchit should be on the back of the jacket instead of the inside as pocket..

Huh!??

Anyway, wear it in the shower then go out and do a marathon in it followed by a couple of days fixing a car engine. Hey presto, the real deal.

shanghai joe

ol joe here.........don't remember saying leather blood chit always worn on the back.....cos later on it's a real no no as there make better targets!

John Lever

Experiment on something else first before you try it on the patches.
Get some newspaper that has only black newsprint on it. Screw it up and rub it on the surface so that some of the black is transferred. Dabbing with a used still damp tea bag can also work.
My favourite is cow shit [but this may be too extreme.] Paint it on and when dry try to wash off . The ammonia does something to the paint to age it.
Seriously, I do this to antiques worth thousands of £'s.

MikeyB-17

Somebody-might have been Digger-where's he lately?-advised getting a brush, and rubbing it all over your car engine, getting it as filthy and oily as possible, and then applying it to the patches, waiting a while, then wiping with a cloth.

Curahee

Hi all,

SJ, actually it wasn't you about that chit on the back thing...when you look at period pictures you see all kinds of variations. I think all along I wanted it on the back but was afraid about peoples reactions, but hey it's my jacket so to hell with that. Besides I bought a silk 48 star American Flag from Aero to put inside of the jacket, I'm really gettin' into the CBI spirit with this one :p . It looks exactly like this original one

CBI-ATCwithBurmachit5.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys, yeah I should have aged them before putting them on the jacket... :? Though that cow shit thing :shock: might be a little over the top, car engine oil mmmaybe... I will start with the newspaper and the leather rubbing and then progress to the rougher methods after seeing how it works out. I will keep you posted.

Curahee

Tranquility Base said:
Curahee said:
Sjanghai Joe and others mentioned on the previous forum that the leather Bloodchit should be on the back of the jacket instead of the inside as pocket..

Huh!??

Anyway, wear it in the shower then go out and do a marathon in it followed by a couple of days fixing a car engine. Hey presto, the real deal.

Have to admit, did that once with a jacket :oops: took 4 days to dry and then it cracked all over the place ! but it had a positive effect on the jacket ;)

zoomer

John Lever said:
My favourite is cow sh*t [but this may be too extreme.] Paint it on and when dry try to wash off . The ammonia does something to the paint to age it.
Seriously, I do this to antiques worth thousands of £'s.
Do you have your own cow, I wonder? :lol:
Might one be able to synthesize cow flop out of mud mixed with an ammonia fertilizer or solution? Perhaps adding grass or hay for texture?

A

Anonymous

Take the patches off your jackets. Put them in your back pockets for a week or two, works better than tea or coffee, or cooking them in an oven, or beating your mother in law with them.

Andrew

Leave them to sit outside in full sunlight for as long as possible- You have access to some of that over there? ;)

Stick them on the roof and forget about them- the UV and rain should age them quickly.

Curahee

Leadsky said:
Leave them to sit outside in full sunlight for as long as possible- You have access to some of that over there? ;)

Stick them on the roof and forget about them- the UV and rain should age them quickly.

Yeah, we got of some that over here. In fact these last few days we had temperatures of 85F wich is very unusual for May around these parts (Netherlands). Anyway, I will let my imagination run wild :mrgreen: First I will take a dump on my jacket then take a piss on it hang it in the shower on the hottest setting for an hour or so, then I will slam it on the roof and let it sit there for a month (this weather won't last) in nice rain shower or two and maybe run my car over it and we'll see what we've got then. If only I had the balls and stupidity for it to that to this jacket :roll:

A

Anonymous

Curahee said:
First I will take a dump on my jacket then take a piss on it hang it in the shower on the hottest setting for an hour or so...

This is direct from the Hells Angels guide to jacket preparation. Go ahead.

Andrew

Curahee said:
Leadsky said:

If only I had the balls and stupidity for it to that to this jacket :roll:

Yes, why would one do that? I was talking about ageing patches.

Curahee

No, just kidding your'r right about the "roughing up" part, I asked your input and I got what I wanted. It's just that the
23rd FG patch was such a joy to make and I was so pleased with the endresult that I'm just a little hesatative towards
damaging it on purpose. Anyway I will do it 'cause now it just looks to new and shiny to look the part. It's still in the
leathershop because the guy who does all the repairs and alterations is sick. Will have it back thursday, and I will have
a go at it. Stay tuned :cool:

Curahee

Some of you asked me if I could make some patches for you, and although I'm very flattered for now I will not take any orders...BUT....I do like to draw and paint, and I like a challenge so this is not a definite NO ! The paint and leather are not hard to come by and cheap, time is all together a different story. I have my own company, so I have very little time for the missus as it is and I do like my sports too (running and working out) And when I'm free I don't want to have a feeling of having to finish something for a "customer". We'll see ;)