• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How legit is this Roughwear 23380 with patches?

chamboid

Been looking at this jacket a friend has, and want to know the ligitimacy of the patches? Are they correct for the jacket or some later add-ons

The Air Transport Command patch looks to be in very good condition, possibly too good for the overall jacket.

I've also tried to find N.S Anderson on the name tape, and found one persons name who worked in Air Command in the correct time period, but f anyone can help with more information it would be greatly appreciated.

Roughwear

RW A2s from the 23380 contract were made in the first quarter of 1942. The ATC patch is correct for the jacket as is the CBI shield. However you can see stitch holes to the left side of the ATC patch which are either where an earlier patch was sewn on or a sewing error. The patch itself is not post War, but a Wartime one. I have several, including one sewn on a jacket in the War. They were machine printed and do tend look quite well preserved.

TankBuster

Looks good to me. As Andrew mentioned, the patches are original. They are pretty standard patches that were made in high numbers. As mentioned, these patches tended to stand up well, so the clean look is fine. The jacket looks to be in nice shape.

a2jacketpatches

I had one of those ATC patches unused that was worn more than yours, probably from being tossed around for many years. But generally this is one of the most frequently encountered patches out there. On one hand, it's so common that why would anyone fake the jacket, on the other, exactly why fakers have applied them because they're easy to find unused. I don't see the machine gun holes (stitch marks) that Andrew speaks of but the liner stitching should tell that tale. Also, you could post this on USMF where a number of guys will respond quickly with what will likely be a positive ID to the ATC.

Roughwear

If you look at the third picture Sean you will see the empty stitch holes just left of the ATC patch near the bottom.

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
If you look at the third picture Sean you will see the empty stitch holes just left of the ATC patch near the bottom.

Got it, would still like to see the liner just in case the previous stitching was a totally different size or shaped patch.

dmar836

Does look nice. I do wonder if the empty stitch holes going towards the zip then diagonally back up into the patch area would indicate a different shape patch at one time. It's a lot of dancing for an overrun error. Looking at the lining would likely tell but that would be my only concern - at least it could deepen the story.
IMO, the ATC guys are kinda hard to track due to contractors, transfers, stateside service, etc.
Dave

Silver Surfer

looks aok. errant stitch holes do show up on occasion. i had a first contract cbi rw that had a stitch holes in a small oddly shaped square on the side back. too small [1 1/4" square] for a patch. not a repair, just stitch holes. a seamstress trying a new needle? a new seamstress trying to turn the angles of a square? sewing graffiti? dunno. this unanswerable kinda stuff shows up on originals from time to time.

chamboid

Here's an internal photograph of the stitch marks. I cannot see an extra line of stitching from a miss stitch or another patch being removed?

a2jacketpatches

Didn't see the holes but thought I may be missing something, I even copied the photo and enlarged it to find nothing. Are there actual stitch holes next to the patch? I was reluctant to stick with it or push the issue as I thought it may irritate XXX into joining another thread he has no clue about ;) .

Anyway the inside liner tells it all and I wouldn't second guess this jacket, it seems to be a beauty. With N.S. Anderson already ID'd to ATC, all you can do now is go a little deeper. As stated earlier in the thread, USMF is a good place to show this one and get a little history on the guy. Any other items to go with it?

Roughwear

You certainly are missing something mate! There is a diagonal line of at least 7 empty stitch holes clearly visible in this cropped picture.

chamboid

Wow. Bloody hell Andrew good eyes! Now i know where to look you can just about see the stitch march on the liner. Now. Begs the question what was the previous patch?

a2jacketpatches

Can't see squat even with my reading glasses on dammit. Is it just a machine over-run? or a full patch perimeter? A clear plastic bag and a sharpie marker would be a good way way to trace it out.

a2jacketpatches

chamboid said:
Wow. Bloody hell Andrew good eyes! Now i know where to look you can just about see the stitch march on the liner. Now. Begs the question what was the previous patch?

So was there a previous patch? is it just a small over run of stitches? I'm truly amazed that Andrew and Dave are pointing out the significant clues just by looking at a photo and it's all news to you seeing it with the naked eye. Starting to think you guys are messing with me because I still see nothing. :lol:

Roughwear

a2jacketpatches said:
chamboid said:

So was there a previous patch? is it just a small over run of stitches? I'm truly amazed that Andrew and Dave are pointing out the significant clues just by looking at a photo and it's all news to you seeing it with the naked eye. Starting to think you guys are messing with me because I still see nothing. :lol:

Thank you for your amazement Sean. I think an eye test might be the way forward for you.

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
a2jacketpatches said:
chamboid said:

Thank you for your amazement Sean. I think an eye test might be the way forward for you.

No doubt, been there done that and have been wearing glasses for a little while now :ugeek: But I don't feel too bad if you had to point it out using a photo to the guy holding the thing ;)

a2jacketpatches

As tiny as this is, I can see this. No idea what's being said but it ain't because of hearing loss and I'm sure it's not good anyway. Eyesight still keeps me pluggin and sense of smell is good as well. At the very least both help me steer clear of dog poop from time to time :lol: