• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How accurate is this vintage RL A-2

OperationCoffee

This one is about 30 years old and has been worn hard. The cuffs have been replaced with Eastman repro's. What contract does it most resemble?
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
he waistband is next.
1.jpeg

OperationCoffee

Thanks ! I wasn't sure the contract number on the label was in any way related to the styling of the jacket. To me, it looks like Ralph handed an original to his team and said "replicate this" . FWIW I've owned a 27753 and it was somewhat similar. The thread on this one is a faded OD green but the pictures don't show it well.

Chandler

That looks like a really nice take on the A-2. Didn't know RL ever made one -- wonder how many they made?

However, I'm pretty sure the RW 27752 didn't have ring snaps on the pockets.

Smithy

It's not shabby at all but then most of RL's military repop stuff is like that - pretty good.

I had their B-10 a decade or so back and it was the same, very good but gave it too a mate as it was too small.

RL military repro jackets aren't GW level and they're not worth what they retail for new but used on the secondhand market they aren't half bad.

MikeyB-17

That’s some stonking leather on that. I always keep my eye out in TK’s in case any of RL’s military repro’s turn up. Seen field jackets, MA-1’s etc., still not mega cheap, but way cheaper than RRP.

OperationCoffee

Hmm. Following the GW link it seems United Carr snaps are optional on this contract. This was a fleabay buy and only 300. A pretty decent deal I think

mulceber

I agree with what' been said above. At $300, I wouldn't worry about accuracy too much. It's a nice jacket.

In terms of accuracy, it fails on the details, particularly the hardware, while some aspects of the pattern are recognizably Rough Wear (the maker whose jackets this is replicating): the stitching on the epaulets is more or less correct, the pocket flaps look about right, it's got the collar stand and such.

Good score. Not really an accurate repro, but I imagine the leather's pretty nice, and it could be a good beater.