• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot water treatment question (new one)

A

Anonymous

Well what happens when you run hot water on your jacket and it gets all wet
and it happens to be the one of those with the ink stamp of inspector and winged star on the back of the lining?

Will the stamps come off or become fuzzy and all messed up?

Appreciate your experience/opinion

better duck

I just posted pics of a new Goodwear jacket, that I treated with hot water by showering very hot water on it, while it was hanging in the shower. The water soaks into the leather (the jacket gets very heavy) and parts of the lining get wet, where the water soaks through (it takes an amazing long time for the leather to start to leak)
I took care to keep the jacket on the inside as dry as possible. After it was soaked enough I put on the jacket and wore it for the rest of the evening while moving around the house (it starts out very warm, but in about five minutes the wet jacket gets very cold. I stretch the jacket by moving my arms, pulling on the backpanel, etc.
The end-result is, that the jacket took on my bodyshape much better then when it came straight from the box.
I felt no need (so far) to totally immerse the jacket in water.
Hope this helps.

Marv

I recently put my ELC Star through the hot water treatment and there wasn't any problem with the inspectors stamp becoming blurred or fuzzy after drying.
I didn't put the jacket in the dryer but just let it dry naturally overnight and then wearing whilst it was still damp.
The jacket has better pronounced grain and creasing but not as much as I would have expected/liked so may give the jacket another hot bath and see if I get a better result second time around.

A

Anonymous

Yes, but are the stamps on ELC jackets ink? or silk prints?