• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HLB B-3 restored at last

Peter Graham

I’ve had this jacket for close on two years and it’s only recently that I’ve had the time to restore it. When I got it the fleece was filthy, there was a hole under one armpit, the hanger was missing as was one of the collar buckles and the zipper was broken. Despite these problems I knew it was a worthy project as all the panels were intact and strong. First off I sewed up the hole under the arm then cleaned the fleece with Eucalan. The amount of dirt that came off had to be seen to be believed. At this stage we were busy moving house so the jacket gathered dust for well over a year although I had already obtained an NOS Talon courtesy of Bazelot. The last thing I needed was a collar buckle and hanging strap and Tim (Bombs away) came up trumps for me with this. I don’t have the skill or the equipment to complete the job and I didn’t fancy waving goodbye to it for several months to Aero but luckily I found a local Lithuanian woman (that’s Irish!) who fitted the zipper, buckle and a scrap D-1 hanger to a standard every bit as good as Aero for a fraction of the cost and in a matter of days rather than months. She’s a real craftswoman and will be getting a lot more work from me.

The jacket itself is HLB’s second B-3 contract and dates from 1942. It’s had a depot re-dye at some stage and that’s what attracted it to me as I’m not a big fan of the duo tone B-3’s. It’s been issued at least twice as it has the names “James” and “Badger” written in pen on one of the straps with partly legible service numbers so hopefully I’ll be able to do some research in the future. The only thing still missing is the leather rank attachment tabs from the shoulders but they must have been removed before the re-dye as the remaining stubs are also dyed. I may or may not replace them at some stage. Brass rivets have been added at the bottom of the zipper and on the pocket corner. Judging by the verdigras on them they could well have been added during the jackets service life. The jacket still has a little linen label in the lining but it’s mostly illegible. Does anyone know what they were, size or batch labels perhaps? I’ve had enough experience of original shearlings to know that this jacket is more robust than any US shearlings and as robust as the Irvins that I’ve owned. I’m really pleased at the way it’s turned out. It’s by no means mint so I won’t be afraid to wear the hell out of it this winter. I just hope James and Badger approve. I often gaze at the jacket and wonder what their stories are and what became of them.

b3.jpg

b32.jpg

b31.jpg

The buckle and strap that Tim sent are slightly different but the important part is that they're original
b33.jpg

Judging by this undyed section it may have been a redskin
b34.jpg

b36.jpg

dujardin

an happy end for this jacket
brilliant

the smile on your face is the best result of this restoration

congrats

Dr H

The fit looks well on you Peter. Strong patination too - the depot refinish has given it a great look.

bombs away

Hello,

Great work of restoration. Fits you nicely.
Congrats to you and your new Lithuanian friend !

Tim, glad to have helped ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
The jacket still has a little linen label in the lining but it’s mostly illegible. Does anyone know what they were, size or batch labels perhaps?

Yes, cutter's tag, sometimes with size, and batch number to help keep track during the making.

Great result ... I love that it was Badger's jacket, I'm sure he would be pleased. ;)

bombs away

Peter Graham said:
The jacket still has a little linen label in the lining but it’s mostly illegible. Does anyone know what they were, size or batch labels perhaps?

This kind of tag ?

6306974286_b4d2215984_b_d.jpg

Can you tell me more about Eucalan treatment please ?

Tim.

Roughwear

Your HLB Corp B-3 has been very nicely restored Peter. It's a perfect fit too. I do hope you get plenty of wear out of the jacket this winter.

Peter Graham

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really am chuffed with it. Just to clarifiy, the dodgy stitching below Tims buckle is not the work of the Lithuanian lady, it's mine. I did it before she got hold of it and I aked her to leave it as it may not be beautiful but it's serving it's purpose. Tim, that's the same label with the same print. I just couldn't make it out. I can't remember who first mentioned Eucalan but I'm sure it was here on the forum. I got it from ebay. It's a natural wool treatment that can be used in a machine or applied by hand. I mixed a solution of Eucalan and water and applied with a cloth, rinsing the cloth frequently as it got so dirty. The results are great. Rinsing is not necessary. It thickens up the fleece a bit too I think. Regarding the service numbers, can someone please post a link to that US national archives site where it's possible to type in a service number and get some info. Thanks. I'll post some pics of the jacket in natural light soon, if we get any before next March ! :(

rich

Superb! Congratulations Peter - it fits you just right too. I think James and Badger would approve.

bazelot

THta is one great jacket Peter. I am glad it all turned out well at the end. Do you have pics of the jacket before the work was done? I always love to see before and after pics.

Andrew

Fantastic result Peter, that really is one you would want to keep and i'd also be interested to see what turns up about the owners. I can't make out both numbers so could you please type them up? I'm sure someone in the CSI department will help out since we seem to have exhausted the Duck hunt.

better duck

I join the chorus: great project, brought of with a little help from your forum friends, and the end result looks good on you. What more can you want?

Peter Graham

bazelot said:
Do you have pics of the jacket before the work was done? I always love to see before and after pics.
Tom, I'm sure I have some somewhere, either on a memory card or unfortunately in a broken laptop. I'll have a look.
Thanks for that link. I tried searching under the surname "Badger" but of all 200 odd records there was not one that had a serial number that resembled the one on the jacket which is 02978 followed by either 99, 97, 77, or maybe 91 or 71. I've tried all these combinations and come up with nothing. I think I'm using the partial search wrongly. Can someone have a try ? I did find James though. I held the strap in just the right light and got the right serial number, 16019982. James M Jefferson of Peroria, Illinois. Enlisted in the Air Corps on 29th November 1941 aged 20. Single, no dependants, 1 year in high school, driver by trade. I was absolutely elated to find this record. The jacket just came to life for me. I searched a bit deeper on a different site and my worst fears about why the jacket was re-issued were confirmed. James M Jefferson had been killed in action. This might sound odd but I was nearly in tears. I had this young mans jacket in my hands and had just found out a bit about his life and then to suddenly find out that it had ended so abruptly has really upset me, but I'm hooked. Can anyone suggest anywhere that I can look further to find out about the date and circumstances of his death ? This changes things with the jacket. I'll odviously have to re-think my intention of "wearing the hell out of it" this winter. I'll still wear it occasionally but I now realise that I've got an historic artifact in my care. I've owned loads of original but this is the first one that I've been able to trace any history of and it's an odd feeling.

Andrew

That's great news Peter. You ought to be able to find something about him through the accident reports- I don't have a link unfortunately.

bombs away

Hello,

James M Jefferson was killed on january 23 1943. He was from the 91st Bomb Group.
Unfortunately I haven't found any report about his death. I've found the indication : no combat mission. I don't know what it can mean ?

You may contact the 91st BG historian : Janet LAROCCA at [email protected] (found on the 91st BG site), you may have the explanation on this strange death.

No "badger" found in the 91st BG, but there again, the historian may help you.

Good luck !

Tim