• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HLB A2 ?

Technonut2112

Interesting stitching detail on the back of the collar. Looks similar to how mouton-collared USN jackets were done. A Good Wear copy of an original H.L.B. I ran across doesn't have this stitching feature, but, it was a civilian version. Also Info on the same H.L.B. page stated that only Kwik zippers may have been used throughout the entire contract, since it was small, but is still open for debate. I see the one linked has a Talon.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_hlb_0001.html

The beveled pocket corners are like the Bronco, and United Sheeplined as well. Hopefully, someone will be able to ID the jacket for certain.

Silver Surfer

this one has plenty of the hlb characteristics, and have been made by hlb under their civilian label? [security aviation associates]. these hlb like a-2s do show up, and are thought to be civy jacs made during the early-mid 40s, as they all seem to have 1942 talons as originally installed. yet, this one seems to have a deep reddish rayon liner. with collar stand, and collar clips sewn on ala pre war a-2s. whats interesting is that it is made of goatskin, as against horse or cow. an interesting a-2 for sure, and imho a civy hybrid aaf-usn "security aviation associates" jacket. sorry for the confusion. chappy reminded me of the proper civy contractor name. musta been an "old timers" [rhymes with alzheimers] moment.

Last edited:

Peter Graham

That jacket looks exactly like a Windward civi A-2 I owned a while back. Note especially the the collar stand, stitched on collar hook and the stitching pattern under the collar.