• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a 6147th TCS patch

DSCN6199_zps6becfa53.jpg
DSCN6198_zpsdbfee2c2.jpg
Is this patch period? no glow, but I understand that does not always mean a period patch. 4 inches, would it have been used as a chest patch? if period. Thanks for your expert advisement.

EMBLEMHUNTER

They Flew the T-6 Texan in a spotting and smoke marker role during Korea, there were one or two other units of the same missions also .They were called "Mosquitos" hence the big one on the patch .

a2jacketpatches

6148th T.C.Squadron said:
Thanks for the update, was 4 inches a chest patch size during Korea?

I wouldn't say all were, but it seems they shrunk a little down from 5" to 4" And some grew tabs some not. At first I thought troop carrier squadron but it's actually the 6148th Tactical Control Squadron in Korea confirmed. Here's a link - http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units1/usaf/6148tac.htm

Actually a new version of the T-6, designated LT-6G aircraft specially built with powerful radios, armed with 6 under-wing racks with triple rocket launchers and two .
30 caliber machine gun pods. The 2 squadrons, referred to as “Mosquito” flew 40,354
sorties and lost 33 men and 42 aircraft out of the 97 built.

a2jacketpatches

Sorry friend, I'm a dumass, your username here and everything else just didn't compute. Having a tough day with a certain individual and visiting here briefly to catch a break. Anyway. I'm pretty sure you've got a right as rain patch there.

dmar836

Dave,
With your obvious interest in this TCS, can you tell us your affiliation? What go typing interested in this?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
KC

Numerous reasons. I have always had an interest in WW2 aviation, planes, flight jackets, and all paraphernalia associated. Have had some rather high end jackets, Eastman, Lost Worlds, and Aero.
At some point recently I just fell into the Korean war as an interest. Maybe it's a natural progression due in part to the overlap of Aircraft, and in some cases jackets, and patches. The jet age also has a cool factor as jets and space ships were the rage when I was a kid. The reason for a specific interest in the Tactical Control Squadrons is in part due to the enormous scrotums it took to fly at low levels
in WW2 trainer's with ground fire and the possibility of Mig's above. It also helped seeing Marilyn Monroe's rack being covered by a B-15 and that cool Mosquito insignia. Dave

dmar836

Well, as good as my reasons!
Hopefully you have viewed this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8981
Ray has his A-2 and some great memories of the 6147th(I think).
Haven't seen him on in in a while but maybe you can get him up.
Dave

dmar836

Dave, Ray said he'd be glad to talk to you, or anyone here, about the Mosquitos and send photos directly. He gave up trying to repair the moved photos of his jacket.
Will PM his address presently but it might be in the directory as well. Also gets notices of PMs from VLJ.
Dave

rayfel

Dave
Since your email and PM I've checked out this thread. Since there's no way to restore the photos in the:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8981
thread, I've decided to post some of them in this thread. Starting with the "restored" A-2 jacket which is proudly displayed on the mannequin that you so graciously and with such effort provided. That is, if I can retrieve it from my dormant photobucket account. I may have to sign up with a different hosting site.

Here goes, I hope it works:

Ray

rayfel

It works! Here some more:
A close up of the patch, which was repainted by Jerome Urbaniak. It had originally been painted in theater by a local, probably using house paint since most had flaked off by the time I had retrieved the jacket from my daughter.

A photo of a flight of the L-19's we flew out of the 3rd Infantry Division forward airstrip:

My ID Blood Chit:

Every father should be a hero to his daughter. The only reason this survived is that she had it pinned over her bed when she was growing up. And the feeling is mutual. She was a firefighter with the Alameda County fire department for 20 years and before that a deputy sheriff with the county.
And a fantastic motorcycle rider! I taught her when she was a teenager. I'm not sure it's appropriate for this site, but I feel I must post a couple of photos of her.

My cloth Blood Chit:

That's all for now, will post more later.
Ray