• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to Identify A-2 contract

CK90

Gents, some year or two ago, I pinched this photo from the 'Nice Period Photos of A-2's' thread. I was doing my usual trawling and spotted the attached photo. First of all, thank you to whoever shared this as I just love this photograph.

Now, I know the Pilot/Soldier in question is one P. McKennon (badd-ass, R.I.P) however, I'd love to know what contract A-2 he's wearing. I initially thought it might be a Rough Wear, with the shoulders and the collar being what led me to that conclusion, however, I'm starting to question that. Also, is that steer-hide? It has a particularly beautiful thick drape. I don't have an inch of the knowledge some of you well versed gents do, I'm learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated! PS. this is definitely one of my all time favourite period A-2 shots.

IMG_9141.JPG

Lorenzo_l

Looks like a Rough Wear 1401P from here. It's hard to say anything on the hide just from the photograph. Could be horsehide or steer hide. You'd be hard pressed to be able to tell which from just looking at the picture.

Silver Surfer

looks like it has a collar stand. the very scalloped pockets kinda rules out the rws [maybe] so, would guess an aero 16160 [squared pocket bottoms], or one of the weber contracts, though I can not see the bottom of the body or cuff end to look for top stitching. the color of the knits would say early contract. hide? most likely hh.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

RWs do have quite scalloped pocket flaps, as this original 1401P from @Wz1999 show:

IMG_5857.jpeg

On the other hand, the pocket corners on the OP's jacket don't look square enough like those on an Aero 16160...

Attachments

• IMG_5857.jpeg
    IMG_5857.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

Lorenzo_l

The pocket on the OP's photo:

FRE_000021.jpg

RW 1401 open pocket, from Goodwear's website:

RW_1401P_pocket_open.jpg

Werber 1402P open pocket, from Goodwear's website:

Werber_1402P_pocket_open.jpg

Notice the difference between the top corners' stitching on the Werber vs the RW, i.e square vs angular pattern. I kind of see the angular stitching pattern of the RW in the original's picture. My money's still on the original being a RW1401P...

Attachments

• RW_1401P_pocket_open.jpg
    RW_1401P_pocket_open.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Silver Surfer

hmmmmm......werber 1402, or rw 27753? both contracts used talons, both were made with collar stands, both used ball snaps. even though, by the pic, the color is light for a later rw, there were some made with lighter colored hides. the later rws used darker colored knit elements though.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

hmmmmm......werber 1402, or rw 27753? both contracts used crowns, both were made with collar stands, both used ball snaps. even though, by the pic, the color is light for a later rw, there were some made with lighter colored hides. the later rws used darker colored knit elements though.

Agree with you Vic. It could very well be a RW 27752 as well, as some 27752 were known to have been made using lighter colored hides.

CK90

Thank you @2BM2K , some more wicked photos in that collection I'm looking through now over a coffee. Coincidentally, I have a RW 27752 on order with Mr. JC, makes it all the more special now.