• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP ME Clean My Moldy G-1

Maverick785

I left my G-1 in the closet of my room at college for the summer. I came back a couple months later only to find that my AC unit had malfunctioned at some point, and my room had been subjected to extreme humidity. I found mold on lots of my belongings, and my closet (and G-1) were hit especially hard :shock:

I've wiped away any visible traces of mold from the jacket, but the smell still lingers and I'm sure there's still spores. I'm not really sure how to go about cleaning it because of the variety of different materials involved: I'd assume the leather, wool, rayon and artificial fur all require different cleaning methods.

Can anyone help breakdown what needs to be done to get this thing cleaned up?

Jason

Wiping away the worst of it is a good start.
I'd then use a leather cleaner of some sort to clean the exterior, and some soapy water to clean everywhere else, including turning the jacket inside out and wiping down the lining.

Sunlight kills a lot of nasties. Hang it out to dry in sunlight on a hanger inside out for a day, and then another day normally. Now usually after washing / wiping down a jacket, you'd let it dry outside in an airy but shady place... but on this occasion you want the jacket to get a little bit of UV light to kill some bugs and take away any smells.

If any smell remains, a very light even spray of Febreeze can be used... but the long term effects on a G-1s liner or leather are not clear. I've not had any problems with my so cleaned G-1 thus far.