• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help applying a decal

syringmt

Can anyone tell me the procedure for applying a Army Air Forces decal to the shoulder of my A-2. I have the decal but no instructions. Just trying to dress up a Cooper I picked up very cheap. May even try my hand at painting some day. :p

flightmac

These are the are the instructions that came with mine:

1. (A) Spread small amount of glue (index finger size or less) on leather with finger covering entire decal area including type in thin glaze. (Let set while following B). Glue dries invisibly and cleans with water so absolute exactness is unimportant. A wider circumference is better so entire decal gets glue as decal is moved into desired position.

(B) Immerse decal in shallow bowl of warm water for approx. 1 minute or until decal loosens. Do not allow to loosen so that it separates from backing while in water. Remove and drop of excess.

2. Position decal sheet onto sleeve. Gently cover approx. 40% of decal from bottom down with moist sponge. Gently but with consistent pressure pull decal backing upward, separating decal and exposing decal bottom first. Ensure during process that the U.S. Army Air Forces is kept straight and uniform to prevent tearing.

3. When "U.S. Army Air Forces" type is fully exposed, straighten if flexed or twisted. Continue process detaching decal. Ensure that sponge pressure does not impede separation of decal from backing.

After complete decal is on glued surface, position to preference.

Use sponge and wet forefinger to flatten and remove bubbles and creases.

Clean excess glue with sponge or wet forefinger when fully dry.

When satisfied with installation, carefully lay sleeve straight to cure 1 day.

Good luck with the project!

syringmt

Thanks Flighmac. What type of glue did you use? My decal came from Ebay and didn't come with any instructions or anything.

flightmac

Mine came with some sort of "Special Formula" 'Leather Flight Jacket Decal Glue'. Looks like plain white glue to me, but I can't be sure if there's something special about it. Maybe someone on the board knows if you can (or should) use regular white glue.

SuinBruin

Some of them are water transfer and some of them are iron on. I'd contact the seller for clarification if yours came with no instructions at all.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Most water transfer decals don't require additional glue ...

The emblem is attached to a paper backing which is coated with a water activated glue. The principle is thus: When soaked in water, the glue is activated (becomes sticky again) and the decal can be removed. Some glue remains on the back of the decal which permits it to stick to a surface.

cmk-2

Hi were did you get the decal? If you want to PM me I have 2 bottles of the glue that I received from a seller that I don't need any more. Would be happy to send free if your in the U.S or if not pay for postage. Robin Bailer,Destin,FL