• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heard it through the grapevine m65

Atticus

Might be interesting to try and list all the patterns the humble M-65 was actually issued in. Woodland, EDRL, OD-107, Tri-Color Desert, "Grapevine", Tiger Stripe(?), White(?)...

What else?

AF

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
From what I read, this Mitchell pattern was a civy thing and not issued.

That's my understanding as well, and why I called BS earlier in this thread. These jackets definitely existed but I can't see how the Mitchell pattern would have been considered for standardization when presumably ERDL was already in the pipeline as the camo pattern for general issue. Consider also that no camouflage M-65 was issued until the woodland type in the mid-1980s. In the early years of the BDU it was common to see troops wearing OG-107 field jackets over camouflage uniforms.

Getting back to the particular jacket in the eBay listing, I find it suspect that the label (which incidentally refers to an OG-107 jacket) lacks the contract information that would likely have conclusively marked it as not genuine.

dmar836

So it appears it was cut just under the OG107 line and removed? If the label hadn't been cut, why would a civi jacket have even this label? Was the label added to a civi jacket strictly for deception? If so, I wonder why it appears cut after being added.
Dave

Atticus

I'm guessing most of what I see on the internet is civilian add-lib. So just Woodland, OG-107 and tricolor desert? No tiger stripe and no white and no ERDL?

m65jackets_zps1cc98adb.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I'm guessing most of what I see on the internet is civilian add-lib. So just Woodland, OG-107 and tricolor desert? No tiger stripe and no white and no ERDL?

AF

There was a final M65 variant in ACU (lacking epaulets and festooned with Velcro), but I doubt it's still being worn much if at all with the widespread issue of the Gen III ECWCS gear. To my knowledge the only colors ever standardized were OG-107, woodland, DCU (3-color desert), and ACU. Every example I've seen in other patterns has been civilian-produced, and given that the M-65 was issued across the armed forces surprises would seem unlikely at this point. Everyone's heard a story about special-forces units using this or that, but I have yet to see any proof that such oddities were produced under government contract and/or standardized for general issue.

Atticus

My defendants seem particularly disposed toward the tricolor arctic...top right in the post above.

AF

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
The USMF has a couple of threads on this and mention that the labels were used, OG 107's

Do you have a link? I looked at a bunch and didn't catch the part about the labels.

a2jacketpatches

Couldn't find it but I'm sure it's out there. I was very interested in this thread because I recently found a pullover type jacket in the Mitchell pattern. Maybe it was my research on that where the label info was, not sure.