• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co - Our New USN 37J1 Jacket

Skyhawk

Tough Crowd...…...:mad:
Nothing new.

I will stay the course and ferret out those fine details hidden in history. Just like with the Goldsmith jacket and the collar loop and throat latch type that I identified from photos. There are some additional details missed and not discussed on that jacket that will be on the Headwind reproduction.

No Bseal, I have nothing prove as clearly in the photos the hides do match. You have to also consider that the 1920's film and the distance of the shots plays it part in smoothing out details. Also there was smoother Cape and the Grainier stuff that were both used at the same time. These 2 jackets are good examples. And it is not just an area of grain, this is all over the jackets:
Cape-grain-1.jpg
Cape-Texture-3.jpg

Skyhawk

Nice, is that a self portrait? I like the Boobs on the head.

Don't think this has anything to do with 37J1 jackets which is what this thread is about.

Skyhawk

Man bseal you're too much! Lol!

Been a while since you tried to put down my jackets.... I have missed you buddy. I guess you were on a vacation.

bseal

You denigrate yourself by engaging in revisionist history and applying tactics commonly associated with the NPD population.
My fear is that the product might very well be of a higher quality than it's purveyor.

bseal

Nice, is that a self portrait? I like the Boobs on the head..
"And now come the personal attacks..... You a big talking man!"
- Skyhawk

Validation without even a sense of awareness. Not you, but people who unfortunately clinically suffer from NPD, fear exposure the most.

Skyhawk

Thanks for the phycology lesson. I think it belongs in the "life beyond the internet" section.

Now let's continue with some more images of grainy Capeskin from the 1920's and 30's

Commander Alger Drisal USN - 1934 Look at that Pebble Grain pop bon his Capeskin jacket.
J1-Grain-2.jpg

Skyhawk

Here is a vintage Capeskin Half Belt with the same graining again. A virtual match to our new Capeskin.
Cape-Grain-4.jpg

Cape-Grain-3.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

the Goldsmith jacket and the collar loop and throat latch type that I identified from photos. (QUOTE]

If you scroll down the thread on "button flaped A-2" you'll find Andrew (Roughwear) then B-Man-2 had already id'ed the Goldsmith before you mention the name.
You weren't even the first to announce a repro :>)

Skyhawk

If you scroll down the thread on "button flaped A-2" you'll find Andrew (Roughwear) then B-Man-2 had already id'ed the Goldsmith before you mention the name.
You weren't even the first to announce a repro :>)

Incorrect!
It happened on an earlier thread on post #52: On June 30th
http://vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/early-a-2-id.21092/page-3#post-202146

Then re introduced on the other thread by me on July 1st.

The other jacket that was said to be the Goldsmith was that Test jacket without the Epaulets. I think that Maybe A.G. Spalding made that one due to the knit attachment method and the absence of the rivets / eyelets one the bottom of the zipper.

Regards,
Jay

Skyhawk

Grainy patches mixed with smooth; look at the top of the collar and in the other image: everything outside of the center. Precisely.
Oh you mean like this?
Cape-grain-2.jpg

And another shot of a vintage Capeskin jacket, this time a vintage civilian A-1:
Cape-Grain-5.jpg

Regards,
Jay

B-Man2

Man!!!
Why do we keep beating up on the guys who are trying to produce decent repro jackets. I don’t get it . Please someone explain it to me. I’m not looking to get involved in a pissing contest but this seems to be happening more and more.

Skyhawk

It's pretty obvious really. Always seems to be the same members....

What ever, I have spent way too much time today on this and I need to get back to making jackets. We are pretty busy these days thanks in part to all you guys. I appreciate all the support out there!

All The Best,
Jay