• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBT donor patch needed please

Andrew

I have been tossing up what's the best way to attend to these splits in the shoulder of an otherwise mint A-4 flight suit. The HBT weave is going to continue to split along the same lines unless somethings done.

The previous owner seems to have applied some tape to the inside but has since removed it. I have spoken to a seamstress who has recommended a patch from the inside with either stitching or an iron on adhesive patch between the suit and a new layer of cloth. I propbably prefer the second but would like to use some matching HBT fabric so that it's more sympathetic. The actual colour is a bit darker and more green. These are the sellers shots and I can take some more accrurate ones if needed.

Would anyone have anything like this they would like to sell me?

repairjacket005.jpg

repairjacket006.jpg

bob capa

Hey Andrew,

I have the same problem with one of my A4 flight suits and its dry rot. Chuck it in a plastic bag and into the freezer for a couple of days this wont reverse the problem but maybe stabilise the problem. Modern dry cleaning will also destroy this fabric so thats a no no. Also its not an HBT its a wool twill but i would suggest a iron on patch and then sewing over the splits with a wide zig zag thread. I made the mistake of wearing one of mine and destroying it and a size 44 none the less so i think it may have to be just used for spare zips or just display.

Ive got a patch of ww2 shirt wool you could use and i would be happy to send it to you for nix

anyway i hope this helps

Bob

Andrew

So Bob do you think the rot is bacterial and therefore the freezing might kill it off? I'll try that (if i can get it in the freezer).

I'd love the piece of shirt wool for the patch thanks, i'm sure it will be close enough, especially as it's not seen on the outside. What a bloody shame about yours, this one's a 46 and they are indeed rare in these dimensions. The scary thing about this fabric is that aside from the damaged bit, it's really new, heavy and strong feeling. It must be a bit like a minefield, looks fine but it might begin to split elsewhere. Hopefully it's just in the shoulder region and that's probably been exacerbated by spending it's life on a hanger. I can see that any tear will easily continue splitting along it's current separation.

I'll pm you the details.

cheers

CHECK6

WOW ,I also have the same problem on an A4 ,i didin't knew it was rot,i put naphtaline balls in the pockets to prevent moths attack but i'm sure now that thats not working for rot,i just hope it's not too late and the rest of my other uniforms is not contaminated.
is that an often seen problem with the A4's?????
have a nice day
FAB

bob capa

Peter Graham said:
bob capa said:
Modern dry cleaning will also destroy this fabric so thats a no no.
I'm considering having my B-10 dry cleaned. Is it the same material ? :eek:

Gday Peter,

Short answer is not same cloth

A4 Flightsuit is a gabardene wool ,B10 is a cotton shell

dryclean at discretion,best to talk to the dry cleaner slowly and clearly

i have only ever had things ruined by dry cleaners

best is if it aint broke dont fix it,if you do turn it inside out as modern chemicals on 50 year old fabric can smash the crap out of the colour

if you suspect dry rot or moth eggs freeze it for a couple of days in a plastic bag(dont let your wife catch you putting old war stuff in freezer or you may be next