• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone bought an original A2 recently?

jacketimp

Peter Graham said:
Leadsky said:
Every original I've had, both A-2 and Irvin has been posted to hell to the point that i'm sure everyone's seen enough. I can think of a few others off the top of my head as well, however I do enjoy seeing them every time they're posted- so please keep them coming. Actually I much prefer shots of the real thing, really if you are into the meaning, history, significance the reason for being then these should be the only thing worth looking at. Who want's to see shots of some shitty pretend map lined collar tipped piece of junk? If we could stop posting that crap i'd be happy. Poke my eyes out with a stick- it's like looking at a road crash but the image is already burned on your retina.

I cannot understand why someone would want to stash away some beautiful old relic of a significant earlier time to enjoy in their own privacy. I'll bet these same people have library shelves stocked with every reference on the subject full of images donated with the sole intent of allowing others to enjoy the contents, and also have their computer hard drives topped up with images saved to disc from this very forum of other peoples VLJ's. If you're concerned about the pic appearing somewhere else without permission put a watermark through it. What's the point of being part of something you don't contribute to?

This used to be for me the best part of the forum and the first place I visited but not so now. I do really appreciate the efforts put in by the obvious members who to me have a genuine interest as they take the time to give.
Sorry to copy this whole quote but I agree with every word of it. There are now well over 800 people on this forum. Surely to God there are a lot of original jackets out there that can be posted on the forum and enjoyed by us all. Come on guys, and that means you too Jacketimp. You have never posted a pic of anything, ever !

padre.... forgive me for i have sinned............

799 to go.......

he who cannot choose is a slave.........

Cobblers161

I reckon I pick up and drool over 'Suit Up' pretty much every other day. Pawing over the finite details of the varying contracts is pretty much my obsession of late. When Andrew posted pics of his Spiewak with the 2 varying snaps I broke out into a sweat, the excitement was too much and I am being serious here!

That's why I joined here to see, learn and eventually discuss vintage A-2's, of late this has expanded into cloth with a hint of nylon, but essentially I would love to see more of the jackets I will probably be unable to afford. I love talking repro's, ok just Goodwears, purely because I've handled a few and have garnered some knowledge plus I can occasionally afford one but the real raison d'aitre of this site is originals.

So for my sake and others like me show us your bloody original jackets!

Cobblers161

Hey Imp, if you'd like your collection photographing gimme a shout, I'd gladly come over to the outer reaches of the northern line to shoot them. Gratis of course ;)

jacketimp

Cobblers161 said:
Hey Imp, if you'd like your collection photographing gimme a shout, I'd gladly come over to the outer reaches of the northern line to shoot them. Gratis of course ;)

stu,

really sweet of you.....better don't waste time on a loser like me......use you time professionally, get the war chest full and get yourself an original.

it can be done........if you see ebay prices are buyable.....if you're lucky you can get one for the price of a top end repro........

and no i'm not taking the biskit......

if you really really want something you can make it happen......

you make your own bones!

neh

johnwayne

Hi all
Now guys I may not be as obsessive or 'Nerdy' (no offence intended, honestly) as many of you but I feel I'm getting that way, thanks partly to Andrew the orignator of this topic and who intoduced me to VLJ! To that end, much of what could I say has been said but why I find this site so compulsive is that it's subjective - to each his own, be it original or repro.
I really enjoy seeing images of both + reading members submissions and while personally originals 'turn me on' moreso than repros, the quality of the latter, particulalry now with the 'original maker' styles available, does open up the whole debate. Ultimately, the A2 is such a classic piece of 'military dress' and because of that, like much other military attire, it's been bastardised by the fasion industry since the 40's. But, the repro makers we know have put that right and genuinely all seem to be more about creating something as real as possible than the building the business behind it. If repros didin't exist surely this site wouldn't either and how many originals are in genuine 'collectors' hands? I'd be interested to know too just how many repro's for instance Eastman alone have made since they started - I distinctly remember my first Eastman many years ago, the fit, the feeling when wearing it, the best ever item of clothing I'd ever bought at that time (inc my first ever real Levi's) but all that did was to drive me on to seek an original, something I'd always aspired to but 'assumed' I'd never have!!!
Wearing/owning an orignal, when and if you do, is surely about the feeling of knowing (or not) it's history but if that doesn't bother you and you love the repro, then that's got to be fine too. With the age of some it's arguable they are now vintage too but let's not go down that route - that's been covered before I'm sure.
Lastly therefore, it's hands up as I'm guilty of not posting pics but that's not to say I won't it's just purely down to time and just living in general etc - if I had more time too much would be spent reading everything on this site!!!

Cheers to the beers, hail to ale and
good health to flight jacket fans (repro or orignal) everywhere
Wayne

Peter Graham

I wish to apologise to Jacketimp for what he may have perceived as a snide remark on my part regaring posting of photos. It is of course up to the individual if they wish to post photos or not. The remark was made in the sprit of gentle ribbing and if said in face to face company would be taken as such. The internet just cannot convey these nuances. Sorry Imp. :oops:

rich

The remark was made in the sprit of gentle ribbing and if said in face to face company would be taken as such. The internet just cannot convey these nuances. Sorry Imp. :oops:[/quote]

That's what I took as your intention Peter and I bet the Imp did too ............

A

Anonymous

havocpaul said:
. This and the obvious affect of the global credit crisis (particularly here in UK where only the very well-off will be able to afford top originals especially with the rise in eBay prices) are considerations as to why the forum has changed.

This statement contradicts itself ,what are your talking about no cash around but the prices are going to rise and it going to be done by the rich.Who the hell in this world goes out buying original jackets with credit ,or get loans to buy an A-2 .Your head is full of propaganda from the media my friend , start thinking for yourself be objective dont be lead .If things were that bad there would only be a 1 week wait for a Good Wear ,Eastman,Aero .The main reason for people not wanting to own originals is we are bigger than the jackets of that period and they dont fit us .Which leaves a small minority of us who can wear them and that gets less and less each generation as we get bigger and taller take alook around you at the size of people today .In my opinion collecting of A-2 jackets has always been expensive an to own more than one has and always been for the dedicated ,having said that I think that the original A-2s today are cheaper than they were in the 1980s .In the 1980s a great A-2 would of cost you 500 to 700 pounds divide that by how many weeks wages at that time it would take to get one and look at how many weeks wages it would take to get a similar one today .The Good Wear mass posting on the forum is for two reasons ,first he is one of us and we are proud to hail it secondly its hands down the best product in its class and it is new and still developing so there is alway more to discuss .Regarding the lack of original jackets being posted I aready covered that in a separate post and are people interested in the type A-2 jacket the answer is YES THEY ARE .
Jeff

jacketimp

Peter Graham said:
I wish to apologise to Jacketimp for what he may have perceived as a snide remark on my part regaring posting of photos. It is of course up to the individual if they wish to post photos or not. The remark was made in the sprit of gentle ribbing and if said in face to face company would be taken as such. The internet just cannot convey these nuances. Sorry Imp. :oops:

peter,

no offence meant or taken......it's i who should be apologising.......

stepping on one too many dainty pinkies.......ouch!

please don't take my remarks too personally, members (not just you pete).

i post tongue in cheek and then move on.......life's too short and sweet (not mine, simon scowell........he of britain's got talent fame).

there......now that i've confessed.... i feel better already, padre!

later, dudes...

neh

jacketimp

DUBOWA2 said:
havocpaul said:
. This and the obvious affect of the global credit crisis (particularly here in UK where only the very well-off will be able to afford top originals especially with the rise in eBay prices) are considerations as to why the forum has changed.

This statement contradicts itself ,what are your talking about no cash around but the prices are going to rise and it going to be done by the rich.Who the hell in this world goes out buying original jackets with credit ,or get loans to buy an A-2 .Your head is full of propaganda from the media my friend , start thinking for yourself be objective dont be lead .If things were that bad there would only be a 1 week wait for a Good Wear ,Eastman,Aero .The main reason for people not wanting to own originals is we are bigger than the jackets of that period and they dont fit us .Which leaves a small minority of us who can wear them and that gets less and less each generation as we get bigger and taller take alook around you at the size of people today .In my opinion collecting of A-2 jackets has always been expensive an to own more than one has and always been for the dedicated ,having said that I think that the original A-2s today are cheaper than they were in the 1980s .In the 1980s a great A-2 would of cost you 500 to 700 pounds divide that by how many weeks wages at that time it would take to get one and look at how many weeks wages it would take to get a similar one today .The Good Wear mass posting on the forum is for two reasons ,first he is one of us and we are proud to hail it secondly its hands down the best product in its class and it is new and still developing so there is alway more to discuss .Regarding the lack of original jackets being posted I aready covered that in a separate post and are people interested in the type A-2 jacket the answer is YES THEY ARE .
Jeff

i believe the 90s were the peak of prices when the japonese were collecting like there's no tomorrow.

i'v to confess sometimes i do borrow some to get an original..not exactly a mortgage but an overdraft ( is it the same term in the US?) cos i don't have the readies/cash.

but that's my financial situation.....being self employed i don't have a steady income stream.

of course the situation doean't apply to those wih deeep pockets plenty lollys.

jacketimp

johnwayne said:
Hi all
Now guys I may not be as obsessive or 'Nerdy' (no offence intended, honestly) as many of you but I feel I'm getting that way, thanks partly to Andrew the orignator of this topic and who intoduced me to VLJ! To that end, much of what could I say has been said but why I find this site so compulsive is that it's subjective - to each his own, be it original or repro.
I really enjoy seeing images of both + reading members submissions and while personally originals 'turn me on' moreso than repros, the quality of the latter, particulalry now with the 'original maker' styles available, does open up the whole debate. Ultimately, the A2 is such a classic piece of 'military dress' and because of that, like much other military attire, it's been bastardised by the fasion industry since the 40's. But, the repro makers we know have put that right and genuinely all seem to be more about creating something as real as possible than the building the business behind it. If repros didin't exist surely this site wouldn't either and how many originals are in genuine 'collectors' hands? I'd be interested to know too just how many repro's for instance Eastman alone have made since they started - I distinctly remember my first Eastman many years ago, the fit, the feeling when wearing it, the best ever item of clothing I'd ever bought at that time (inc my first ever real Levi's) but all that did was to drive me on to seek an original, something I'd always aspired to but 'assumed' I'd never have!!!
Wearing/owning an orignal, when and if you do, is surely about the feeling of knowing (or not) it's history but if that doesn't bother you and you love the repro, then that's got to be fine too. With the age of some it's arguable they are now vintage too but let's not go down that route - that's been covered before I'm sure.
Lastly therefore, it's hands up as I'm guilty of not posting pics but that's not to say I won't it's just purely down to time and just living in general etc - if I had more time too much would be spent reading everything on this site!!!

Cheers to the beers, hail to ale and
good health to flight jacket fans (repro or orignal) everywhere
Wayne

john wayne (the duke, right?),

brudda waht a speeeeech.

i wish i had your talent.......but sadly i'm a one liner-man....look at my postings.

i've always wanted to be a speech writer but guess that's not my natural calling.

you mention andrew that initiaied you to the forum......leadsky or swatland.....or both?

later,

neh

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
So the newly introduced sport of Imp baiting is now off the table, and things are back to normal.

Well that's no fun ... now all we have to look forward to is, every few weeks, someone asking if the Imp is from Spain. :p

jacketimp

deeb7 said:
So the newly introduced sport of Imp baiting is now off the table, and things are back to normal.

pheeew......you need a licence to imp-bait......pm me if interested

Well that's no fun ... now all we have to look forward to is, every few weeks, someone asking if the Imp is from Spain. :p

hola........

from london town.............

where the streets are paved with gold

havocpaul

DUBOWA2 said:
havocpaul said:

Jeff

You are jumping to conclusions again my friend and as you don't live here in the UK I guess you won't necessarily understand what some (and increasing number) of us are experiencing with our currency being worse than the Dollar or Euro. The reason ELC and Aero have long waiting times is that suddenly the price to overseas buyers is very attractive. A year and more ago an original A-2 on eBay could be affordable to a UK buyer as it was near $2 to a £1. I take no notice of media hysteria, never buy a daily paper and have enough decades of experience in buying, selling, collecting and commerce to know what I am talking about, if you don't agree then that's your opinion and thanks for sharing it. I stand by my beliefs and form my own opinions based on personal experience and those of many fellow collectors here in the UK.

MikeyB-17

DUBOWA2 said:
Who the hell in this world goes out buying original jackets with credit

Me. Pretty much all my jackets were bought with a credit card-a practice I have now discontinued, but I bet that's not the case for a hell of a lot of people. I also don't buy this idea that nobody's buying A-2's because they're all too small. Look at the amount of original jackets Andrew here has bought and sold-nearly all 42's and 44's (which is agony 'cos they're my size and I can't afford them). Admittedly the really big sizes (46+) are hard to come by, and there are a lot of 38's and 36's out there, but the bigger sizes aren't that rare.
I'm sure this is just another phase. Currently it's all GW's and repros, but it'll come round to originals again.

jacketimp

MikeyB-17 said:
DUBOWA2 said:
Who the hell in this world goes out buying original jackets with credit

Me. Pretty much all my jackets were bought with a credit card-a practice I have now discontinued, but I bet that's not the case for a hell of a lot of people. I also don't buy this idea that nobody's buying A-2's because they're all too small. Look at the amount of original jackets Andrew here has bought and sold-nearly all 42's and 44's (which is agony 'cos they're my size and I can't afford them). Admittedly the really big sizes (46+) are hard to come by, and there are a lot of 38's and 36's out there, but the bigger sizes aren't that rare.
I'm sure this is just another phase. Currently it's all GW's and repros, but it'll come round to originals again.

the wheel has come full circle i am here

king lear act 5 scene 3..........

in case you wonder who's the author it's the bard...shakespeare