• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone bought an original A2 recently?

Roughwear

Sometime ago quite a few members bought original A2s and shared the pics on the forum. For sometime now its gone very quiet indeed. Does this mean no one has bought an original A2 or they just not posting, or have all the guys who buy originals deserted the forum?

jacketimp

originals consigned to never neverland........?

an endangered species..........dodoland ?

impasse.........ces't histoire ?

Roughwear

jacketimp said:

It's such a shame if this is the case, Imp. :shock:

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
jacketimp said:

It's such a shame if this is the case, Imp. :shock:

alas........indeed, RW

.....sign of the times.......rise of the replicates?

mazeta

I think you're third possibility is the most likely one. The few known collectors who used to post here are still active in 'jacketland', they just don't waste their time posting here anymore. There are also collectors (I fall into that group) that don't post their originals.

Roughwear

mazeta said:
I think you're third possibility is the most likely one. The few known collectors who used to post here are still active in 'jacketland', they just don't waste their time posting here anymore. There are also collectors (I fall into that group) that don't post their originals.

I know exactly what you mean. I have bought several A2s recently but have not felt inclined to post them here as there does not seem to be the same interest in them compared with repros. This is sad especially when you consider that originals provide the patterns for the repros!

havocpaul

There does seem to have been a shift in the type and indeed diversity of the posts in the last year or so. Just look at the number of multiple posts on GW especially, which although I think we mostly agree are fine repros, have as a subject flooded the forum of late and may well have put some off from posting or showing off any original purchase or discussing much else. This and the obvious affect of the global credit crisis (particularly here in UK where only the very well-off will be able to afford top originals especially with the rise in eBay prices) are considerations as to why the forum has changed.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
There does seem to have been a shift in the type and indeed diversity of the posts in the last year or so. Just look at the number of multiple posts on GW especially, which although I think we mostly agree are fine repros, have as a subject flooded the forum of late and may well have put some off from posting or showing off any original purchase or discussing much else. This and the obvious affect of the global credit crisis (particularly here in UK where only the very well-off will be able to afford top originals especially with the rise in eBay prices) are considerations as to why the forum has changed.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Paul.

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
mazeta said:

I know exactly what you mean. I have bought several A2s recently but have not felt inclined to post them here as there does not seem to be the same interest in them compared with repros. This is sad especially when you consider that originals provide the patterns for the repros!

Ditto on both the above. I have come into a few nice large plain wearable A-2 jackets, and WWII cloth jackets over the last year or so, as well as a couple additions to the collection, but just don't get the vibe of years ago when it comes to originals.
Plus, I've been slacking in the area of picture taking as of late. ;)

CBI

Although I don't collect originals anymore (they are just too expensive for me) I do like when people post the photos/info. Whatever shift in forum entires will change again at some point. That's the way these things seem to work.

DJS48

I agree in part with CBI in that I just enjoy when someone posts some pictures of their newly acquired jacket, original or repro.
Don

Peter Graham

mazeta said:
There are also collectors (I fall into that group) that don't post their originals.
Why not, surely the purpose of the forum is to discuss and share information and pictures of ' vintage leather jackets'. Why bother at all if you're going to keep your jackets a secret ?

A

Anonymous

Vintage
This forum is for any general questions about flight jackets / motorcycle jackets / civilian jackets - pertaining to vintage era jackets

Thats the title of this forum ,and why you should not post WW2 jackets is beyond me ! this section is not overrun with Good Wear examples and reviews .The problem as I see it is most people on the VLJ site take and do not give.If you all take the same posture of course it will seem like no one is interested in WW2 jackets because nobody is posting anything .You only get out what you put into it .
I have posted for 7 weeks on the patches forum ,I make WW2 squadron patches take requests of any patches any one wants,put up a different patch every week somtimes 2 .Hell I even give them away for free shipping and all .I got reponses from five guys on the forum out of a membership of 800+ at least I tried .If you dont like the direction of the forum look in the mirror nothing is going to change if your not contributing.Do me a favour dont complain about people who take the time to type and press submit even if it is Good Wear.First thing you should do is look at when you last posted something on a original jacket and look at the reponse it got from other members ,and then take a look at a Good wear post and see how quickly the post dies .Enough said .

Jeff

better duck

Roughwear said:
(....) have not felt inclined to post them here as there does not seem to be the same interest in them compared with repros.

Well, speaking only for myself of course, I can only say: I am very much interested in photos of originals, the more the better. The more detail the better: the best ones I save to my harddisk for future reference. I like to read how you've acquiered them, the story behind the jacket etc.
That's the main reason for being on this forum. I will probably never buy an original, but I am very much interested in them. For their historical significance, for the stories some of the have to tell. And not least, just as you say Andrew, because they are the only reason repros exist as such: not just jackets, but replicas of the originals. So I should be interested in originals - and I am!

greyhound52

Only have three and have posted pics of them. So now only have repros. Originals are expensive and frail. I don't hardly wear them because of that.

Andrew

Every original I've had, both A-2 and Irvin has been posted to hell to the point that i'm sure everyone's seen enough. I can think of a few others off the top of my head as well, however I do enjoy seeing them every time they're posted- so please keep them coming. Actually I much prefer shots of the real thing, really if you are into the meaning, history, significance the reason for being then these should be the only thing worth looking at. Who want's to see shots of some shitty pretend map lined collar tipped piece of junk? If we could stop posting that crap i'd be happy. Poke my eyes out with a stick- it's like looking at a road crash but the image is already burned on your retina.

I cannot understand why someone would want to stash away some beautiful old relic of a significant earlier time to enjoy in their own privacy. I'll bet these same people have library shelves stocked with every reference on the subject full of images donated with the sole intent of allowing others to enjoy the contents, and also have their computer hard drives topped up with images saved to disc from this very forum of other peoples VLJ's. If you're concerned about the pic appearing somewhere else without permission put a watermark through it. What's the point of being part of something you don't contribute to?

This used to be for me the best part of the forum and the first place I visited but not so now. I do really appreciate the efforts put in by the obvious members who to me have a genuine interest as they take the time to give.

Peter Graham

Leadsky said:
Every original I've had, both A-2 and Irvin has been posted to hell to the point that i'm sure everyone's seen enough. I can think of a few others off the top of my head as well, however I do enjoy seeing them every time they're posted- so please keep them coming. Actually I much prefer shots of the real thing, really if you are into the meaning, history, significance the reason for being then these should be the only thing worth looking at. Who want's to see shots of some shitty pretend map lined collar tipped piece of junk? If we could stop posting that crap i'd be happy. Poke my eyes out with a stick- it's like looking at a road crash but the image is already burned on your retina.

I cannot understand why someone would want to stash away some beautiful old relic of a significant earlier time to enjoy in their own privacy. I'll bet these same people have library shelves stocked with every reference on the subject full of images donated with the sole intent of allowing others to enjoy the contents, and also have their computer hard drives topped up with images saved to disc from this very forum of other peoples VLJ's. If you're concerned about the pic appearing somewhere else without permission put a watermark through it. What's the point of being part of something you don't contribute to?

This used to be for me the best part of the forum and the first place I visited but not so now. I do really appreciate the efforts put in by the obvious members who to me have a genuine interest as they take the time to give.
Sorry to copy this whole quote but I agree with every word of it. There are now well over 800 people on this forum. Surely to God there are a lot of original jackets out there that can be posted on the forum and enjoyed by us all. Come on guys, and that means you too Jacketimp. You have never posted a pic of anything, ever !

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
Come on guys, and that means you too Jacketimp. You have never posted a pic of anything, ever !

With the gauntlet thrown down, and no avenue of escape ....

The Jacketimp hurries off to Photobucket to commence his mission.

f5.gif

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:

Amen to that ,Good Wear would not exist if it were not for the famous original type A-2 jacket and John Chapman would probably be working at Boeing in Seattle or in Renton .There would not be a VLJ or Avirex jackts with wing tips ,the point of the jacket is that it has been there done that and it stood for something when it achieved its 50 mission look sort of like a badge of courage for the men in the Army Air corp. Esprit de corp of the men bonding together as a team to get the 30 missions done so they can get back home ,the jacket knew fear ,adrenaline rushes ,hapiness,sadness ,heat ,cold it did not win the war but it won the hearts of the men who wore it and was cherished as much as the silver wings they graduated with .

All the best Jeff

jacketimp

deeb7 said:
Peter Graham said:
Come on guys, and that means you too Jacketimp. You have never posted a pic of anything, ever !

With the gauntlet thrown down, and no avenue of escape ....

the scorpion stings itself to death........ole wife's tale......?

The Jacketimp hurries off to Photobucket to commence his mission.

f5.gif