• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hans solo's A-2 jacket who is the maker

hans_zpshjy2vfbq.jpg
What A-2 jacket ? Avirex ? wears it well for his age.

Andrew

Only because it reminds me a lot like my 2006 Dubow (leather colour and texture not pattern) i'd guess at RMNZ.

SuinBruin

Pretty sure it's Gibson & Barnes. And yeah, it doesn't fit him very well (G&B in my experience have some pretty significant fit issues).

tibor

G&B makes sense to me to. The look is right and they sell other flight gear that Harrison has likely bought.

MikeyB-17

I don't think it looks too bad either. He's a pilot, which makes me also think it's a G&B as they supply stuff to the flying community. I imagine that's probably the way he likes it, as few pilots are worried about historical accuracy.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, was just talking it over with a buddy, a while back on the East Coast when I had a reason to wear one, it was like a second layer Fall, Winter, and early Spring. I'd remotely start my car from the house and not much under the A2 than a long sleeve T, even during the coldest months. I can see myself even taking a nap in my one size too big Cooper. Sent back my U.S. Authentic just to get the same loose fit. Also, if need be, a heavy cotton sweatshirt turns that A2 into B3 warm with ample movement. Looks like Mr. Ford will be just as casually comfy after he pumps that gas and hops in his vehicle. The fit some guys prefer looks like they're gonna pop standing up like a can can Pillsbury cinnibuns.

The pocket flaps don't look like a G&B to me. My G&B (admittedly, made back in 2001) has a lot more curve on the flaps, not the V-shape seen on contemporary US Wings/Schott/Legendary/Cockpit/etc. models.

a2jacketpatches

A second look at the pocket flaps and color of the liner tell me it's a Cooper, he's probably had it since before they went out of business. Curve to the pocket flap? Non existant. And the overall fit looks like that Cooper of mine I was so fond of back about 2000. Hard to say for sure but I don't see anything that rules out Cooper. I'm sure he's been flying since 2000, and as a matter of fact a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far away as well :D

Vcruiser

I don't think it is G&B either.
Lotta shoulder droop. I agree, one size too big with the sleeves way too long.
Van

a2jacketpatches

Hard to say for sure but that looks like a Cooper YKK with the bottom pointed forward a bit making it look short, but those pocket flap rule out a lot, zero curve.

Marv

the jacket looks ok apart from the sleeves which are too long and with being Harrison Ford, I would have thought that if he knew he wanted an A2 then he would just have various sized jackets offered to him and he would be able to pick the best fit of the bunch and not just go with the mall jacket size

a2jacketpatches

I don't think the big shots put any more time into buying a jacket than the next guy, even guys like Ford.

Last summer the Co-Producer from HBO's Band of Brothers, contacted me for a 506th patch to put on his mall jacket, loosely based on a flight jacket but he loved the old thing so I just stitched it on without a fuss. Also, A Hollywood costume big shot had a few things made up for his Cooper and I'm expecting to hear from Dan Akroyd through him at some point, he's a collector of originals and wants to decorate his own ordinary jacket. Then just yesterday after a pleasant exchange of emails last week, the following photos show another Hollywood producer's Cooper A-2 (not my work) He's got a rounded interest in WW2 - Modern day Flight garments and wants to start building up a collection. I guess if he's flying that jet around they can all more than likely purchase anything custom they want and have someone else do the footwork as well. But I tend to think that they are just normal guys who put their pants on one foot at a time like the rest of the world by talking with them. Contract? Sleeve tunneling? Pit to pit? Think their eyes would glaze over and they'd say " just let me try it on " with a quick glance in the mirror and done. I used to spread the VLJ word to most everyone I come across until recently because there's just too much repro jacket connoisseur and collector specific stuff here. It's been overwhelming and discouraging to the average enthusiast. Seeing both sides of the coin, I can appreciate the original details and intended fit of early flight jackets. But I'm also open to the personal preference of others. I'd bet that if Ford were to order a GW, he's probably have John arrange a loosely fitting one like you see in the original thread photo.