GW Star A-2 help

Discussion in 'Repros' started by JWS4, Jan 12, 2014.

1. JWS4

JWS4 New Member

Just got an email from Vickie that John will be starting my jacket in the next two weeks! I am planning on going with the Star contract. Like the idea of inset sleeves and wide back panel. Plus Star was based in Massachusetts where I live. I have GW Dubow 20960 the Star should be a good addition. If any one has any pictures or thoughts please share.

2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

The Star is a great contract and as ever John's repros are excellent. I'm not sure exactly what information you are after.

3. JWS4

JWS4 New Member

Like to see pics of one of John's Stars after a few years of wear.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Star is a slim fit and short jacket. Make sure to get your measurements right.

5. blackrat2

blackrat2 Member

I know from emails with GW that JC has improved the Star pattern recently...I have to say I like them but the collar isn't to everyone's taste

6. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

The GW Stars I tried on were long in the torso as opposed to an Aero, etc.

7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

yup, as a rule they are a longer a-2, a little narrower at the bottom, a little wider at the top. i have never noticed that the downward slope of the front of the collar to be overly dramatic.

8. watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg Active Member

[​IMG]

I know this isn't the greatest pic (click to enlarge), but here's mine worn with WW2 Impressions 1941-pattern Army HBTs. Body length is not an issue.

9. JWS4

JWS4 New Member

Thank you for the picture, what leather did you go with?

10. watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg Active Member

This was a "demo" model JC produced to showcase the pattern. It's seal brown and I believe Japanese HH but I can't swear to it.

11. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

Star's fit well and JC will cut to your measurements so it should be a great jacket.

12. fedoralover

fedoralover New Member

Since you asked here's one. It probably belonged to someone here originally,but it's mine now and I love it. I haven't posted in quite a while as I haven't had any purchases to ask about or show. Until now. For those of you that didn't see this at the fedoralounge, I picked this up at an antique show in Portland Oregon last weekend. I couldn't believe it, but have verified it is indeed a Goodwear Star Sporstwear Shinki horsehide jacket.

fedoralover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Vcruiser

Vcruiser Well-Known Member

Very nice. Beautiful
    Van

14. 2BM2K

2BM2K Active Member

If I am not mistaken this is a Star Sportswear;

[​IMG]

15. Marv

Marv Active Member

sure looks like one especially with the low cut of the collar around the neckline and shape of the pocket flaps.....

16. herk115

herk115 Member

Somehow, the satellite dish and the ATM kinda ruin the effect...:) But I know what you were trying to show. Good job.

17. regius

regius Member

Andrew, how do you rate Eastman's Star?

18. Roughwear

At one time I briefly owned one of their early very dark Stars and quickly sold it on. The current version looks a lot more accurate judging by the photos on their website and from those I have seen in their mobile shop at Duxford. The pocket tag is spot on!

19. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

i have an elc star purchased from a vlj member, and could not be happier. at this point from what i can see, the elc version and gw version are almost indisinguishable from one another, other then john using a slightly heavier hh, and lighter colored knits. my original, which is in a lighter colored hh, is a bit longer in the body, and slightly narrower then other original contracts. both the gw and elc are super easy wearers, as are originals, and look super sharp.

20. Roughwear

I agree with you here Vic. My size 44 original fits your description perfectly.