• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW collar stand Aero comparison

A

Anonymous

GW Aero:
DSCF1841.jpg

Period photo:
Crew02.jpg

This is one of my favorite GWs- It is a test jacket but I really think it captures the look of the old Aero. My jacket's a little bigger than the one in the period photo- also I'm not as skinny as this guy but details like the collar and pockets are spot on.

smoos

Hmmmm.......... The waistband on the the GW appears to be significantly narrower than the original's. Is this just an illusion due to the angle of the photo?

A

Anonymous

smoos said:
Hmmmm.......... The waistband on the the GW appears to be significantly narrower than the original's. Is this just an illusion due to the angle of the photo?

The waistband is an original WW2 knit. It's around 2 3/4" wide. The zipper box curls up too. The guy in the photo is probably wearing a 38 with a 3" waistband- mine's a 46 so it looks proportionally smaller I guess. Here's a better view:
DSCF1836_1.jpg

Grant

As long as we're comparing an original to a repro what's with the shoulder droop on your GW Aero?

Grant

A

Anonymous

Grant said:
As long as we're comparing an original to a repro what's with the shoulder droop on your GW Aero?

Grant
No droop in the jacket son! I'm 54 years old- the droop if there is any is in my actual shoulders. Now ten years ago when I was swinging a hammer the jacket would have looked different! Mine looks more like this guy's (same type of Aero - period photo):
Crew02_1.jpg

A

Anonymous

gw_16160_front-1.jpg

More realistic color- still not 100%. Another comparison- this guy's obviously is much smaller than me but the comparison shows the epaulet rise other similarities. Copy the original and you get a jacket that look like the original when worn!

gw_16160_comparison.jpg

smoos

rotenhahn said:
smoos said:

The waistband is an original WW2 knit. It's around 2 3/4" wide. The zipper box curls up too. The guy in the photo is probably wearing a 38 with a 3" waistband- mine's a 46 so it looks proportionally smaller I guess. Here's a better view:
DSCF1836_1.jpg
Does look wider in this one.

Just curious, but is the color of the leather depicted accurately in this photo, and do you know what John calls this particular hide? If this is the same jacket that has appeared in earlier photos on the forum, the color here looks to be a lighter and richer shade of brown than in the earlier photos. I like it. Spray finish?

A

Anonymous

smoos:
just curious, but is the color of the leather depicted accurately in this photo, and do you know what John calls this particular hide? If this is the same jacket that has appeared in earlier photos on the forum, the color here looks to be a lighter and richer shade of brown than in the earlier photos. I like it. Spray finish?

The color in the enhanced photos is a bit more realistic- this is the seal spray finish from Horween. It's really an interesting color because in sunlight it definitely has a rich brown cast- the color is very close to an original 27752 Roughwear I owned- maybe just a 1/2 shade darker. It's my favorite color at this point- I think I look better in the darker brown with jeans etc. It's definitely not the Avirex or Cooper seal brown- much richer- more hue.

bfrench

Administrator
rotenhahn said:
GW Aero:
This is one of my favorite GWs- It is a test jacket but I really think it captures the look of the old Aero. My jacket's a little bigger than the one in the period photo- also I'm not as skinny as this guy but details like the collar and pockets are spot on.

Hi, Jeff,

You can really see the differences between trousers with a high lift and modern day jeans - I've always felt that the originals with modern day jeans give us that bare midriff look.

I'll bet GW's A-2, worn with high waisted trousers, would be very authentic looking.

AeroOriginalandGWAeroA-2.jpg

Bill French

Andrew

It looks sensational in the second shot Jeff. John sent me a sample of sprayed HH I think from horween- this one loses its top coast if rubbed and you see the peanut leather colour beneath. Here's a pic of it against an RMNZ seal (top) and seal kangaroo (right). Any idea if this HH is the same as the stuff yours is made from?

RIMG0036.jpg

RIMG0039.jpg

RIMG0038.jpg

how's the fit of this one- sleeves long enough?

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:
It looks sensational in the second shot Jeff. John sent me a sample of sprayed HH I think from horween- this one loses its top coast if rubbed and you see the peanut leather colour beneath. Here's a pic of it against an RMNZ seal (top) and seal kangaroo (right). Any idea if this HH is the same as the stuff yours is made from?

RIMG0036.jpg

RIMG0039.jpg

RIMG0038.jpg

how's the fit of this one- sleeves long enough?
Same leather I believe as what you posted. This was a test jacket so the sleeves could be a little short althought they are exactly like the sleeves like 90% of the guys in the Doolittle Raiders photos. I think fitwise the jacket is correct in cut- it's my 54 year old body which makes it look the way it does.

rich

I don't have your level of expertise Rotenhahn, but that is a great looking jacket. I especially like the creases in the arm, nice thing is it'll only get better with wear.

ChuckO

I think it looks fantastic, especially with the jeans. "Wicked Cool!' as we would say back in the '70's.

bfrench

Administrator
rotenhahn said:
gw_16160_front-1.jpg

More realistic color- still not 100%. Another comparison- this guy's obviously is much smaller than me but the comparison shows the epaulet rise other similarities. Copy the original and you get a jacket that look like the original when worn!

gw_16160_comparison.jpg

Hi, Jeff,

Another question to a very experienced A-2 jacketeer from a newbie.

Looking at the above pic - it would seem as if both of you have the same body styles - roughly.

The original guy seems to have the shoulder seams a little higher on the shoulders while yours are a little lower down.

Now finally to the question - if the shoulder seams are moved inward toward the neck, will this restrict movement across the back.

Reason I ask is that if I were to have a jacket made with narrower shoulder to shoulder seams than on a jacket made by another maker, would I be heading for trouble?

Bill French

RudyN

Dog gone it! I keep seeing pictures of GW jackets and now have to get one! :!: I am going to save my pennies and contact John. Great work there.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Jeff,

Another question to a very experienced A-2 jacketeer from a newbie.

Looking at the above pic - it would seem as if both of you have the same body styles - roughly.

The original guy seems to have the shoulder seams a little higher on the shoulders while yours are a little lower down.

Now finally to the question - if the shoulder seams are moved inward toward the neck, will this restrict movement across the back.

Reason I ask is that if I were to have a jacket made with narrower shoulder to shoulder seams than on a jacket made by another maker, would I be heading for trouble?

Bill French

Bill- The jacket fits me a bit bigger than the jacket in the Doolittle picture- like I said- mine's a 46 his is probably a 38. I'd say that if I were to have a jacket that fit like the one in the original pic it'd have to be a 44 and the sleeves'd be too short- I have a bigger upper body and longer arms than the 1942 average male. My Dad was 6' 125 lbs in WW2- size 40 Long. If you were to get a jacket which fit like the one in the pic it might feel a bit tight around the shoulders at first but you'd probably get used to it. Remember though- the guy in the comparison photo probably had far narrower shoulders than me or you- our jackets will probably never look exactly like his.
Here's the same contract worn by John Chapman (got it of his photo page- hope you don't mind john :) ) in a comparison photo. John's jacket is smaller in the shoulders and overall and fits more like the ones the Doolittle guys wore- as far as I know it's still comfortable- the one I have is roomy! Also- the leather on John's jacket isn't as broken in but you can see how close they are.
comparison1.jpg

kkochheiser

Rotenhahn that is one great looking jacket! I'm anxiously waiting for the call from John telling me he's ready to start on mine. Of course with the hot weather here I won't be wearing an A-2 for awhile!

Kent