• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Cable Raincoat AC 27753

Roughwear

I bought this very nice GW Cable second hand last year and have just got around to taking a few pictures of it! It's a size 46 but fits like a 44, which is my preferred size. The horsehide is thick, like several originals that I have seen from this contract. The contract was awarded on 29th April 1942 and was for 50,000 jackets. It has the correct Conmar zipper and small ring stud snaps. It is a very comfortable design, with plenty of room in the upper back.

Falcon_52

That is an interesting finish on that jacket. It almost looks like a lighter base color that is lightly overcoated with a darker color. In any event, that's a nice one!

johnwayne

As lovely as it is I'm surprised with all your originals that you bother with repros Andrew! Nonetheless you certainly have a knack of catching some lovely jackets.
Cheers
Wayne

Hey Andrew - beautiful jacket. I'm also in the "46 jackets that fit like a 44" fan club. Question for you...you mentioned darkening the jacket. I've certainly read quite a bit about how people execute the "Depot Re-Dye" look, but what was your technique for more of a slight darkening? I have a russet 1401P Chapman that I'd like to modestly darken, but by no means to anything close to seal.

Silver Surfer

besides using a diluted dye product, pecards makes a brown leather paste that will darken light colored hides a little bit. it can be reapplied to further darken the hides. my experience is that the brown paste goes towards the warm red as against yellow or blue, on a color scale. application is easy. clean up is easy, and the stuff is forgiving.