• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW A-1 (46)

Dr H

Dear All

I've just taken charge of a GW A-1 in a military 46 (modern 44). Grateful thanks to John Lever for the heads up (I owe you a pint) and to Steve Salob for the opportunity to buy.

I've been keen to buy this one ever since Steve posted images in the A-1 section last year and was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. John Chapman, I doff my beret to you - It's a fabulous piece of work and a superlative jacket.

As importantly for me, it's not just a good, but a perfect fit (even down to the length of the arms) straight out of the box. It fits everywhere and feels great - no kidding it might have been tailored for me...

The hide is the Italian cape and to date JC has only produced one jacket from it. The finish is almost vintage with a great patina - I can't wait to see how it wears in following daily wear in rain and shine.

It's pitch black out there so images will probably have to wait until the weekend, but I'll post something soon.

One happy camper... :D

Ian

Dr H

Yes John, I did.
Picked it up from the distribution centre this evening and dragged the poor dog out in the dark and rain to get some mileage on it :cool:

CBI

I have seen photos of this exact jacket. I had asked John a while back about if/when he would be making A-1's again and he said it depended on if/when he could get the hide you are referring to. The photos looked pretty cool. Congrats!

Dr H

Hi John

It's this one (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=720). It's all in the hide - Steve said that it was the best A-1 he'd ever had (and if there's one man who has owned a few... ;) )

I love the hide - it's similar in feel to my original Doni, but it might seem thin for general customers who are used to heavier/less forgiving hides like horsehide. The rest of the hardware is, as ever, top notch and the workmanship surpasses even my former GW Doni...

Better images to follow.

Cheers

Ian

kkochheiser

I'm sooooo jealous! I still haven't replaced the A-1 I sold you. John definitely needs to find more of that hide.

Kent