Gordon and Ferguson M422a

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Roughwear, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

I have owned this size 42 G&F jacket since last year but have just got round to posting some pics. IMO G&F made some of the most stylist M422a naval jackets and they are, as most know here, highly collectable. This one from a 1943 contract is in really superb condition. The goatskin is soft without any issues. The lining is perfect. The previous wonder added an original label, which shows more wear than the rest of the jacket. The knits have largely escaped moth attacks. The mouton is beautifully fresh and lush. The original Talon zipper functions perfectly. It's a really comfortable, smart jacket to wear.

Measurements: Pit to pit: 22", Shoulders: 19", sleeves: 26", front (along the Talon zipper): 24" and back (from base of collar to bottom of waistband): 26.5".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dr H

Dr H Active Member

Thanks Andrew - I agree, it's stylish, but the cut looks comfortable. The later G-1 looks very athletic (wide shoulder, narrow waist), but doesn't strike me as one to layer.

I like the colouring here - russet on a burgundy lining, it's a warmer russet tone than some I've seen and the mouton looks like it's come straight out of the box.

I think that the silhouette in the later images confirms that a 44" would be the one for me.

3. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Good luck in your search for an original size 44. Larger sized G&F jackets are rare beasts.

4. Dr H

Dr H Active Member

I might be lucky - a friend is following up a 44 on my behalf.
    Fingers crossed... :D

5. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

flattering, very flattering. the usn was-is a class act. the wwll jacs they contracted reflect this. when ya get the right one, it is perfectly wearable on a daily basis...thats how well they were made. hard to come by? you bet, and whats more, they are now being sought after by serious collectors. that said, they still can be found. but not for small change anymore.

6. Marv

Marv Active Member

An absolutely lovely jacket indeed, not much chance of finding an original in that condition in a modern day size 46 reg I guess.

Does it fit like a modern day 42 looking at the measurements or slightly larger any how the fit looks great.

7. mindful

mindful Member

great m422a jacket in mint condition and fits perfect its a keeper ;)

8. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

Perhaps your best fitting original flight jacket to date. Superb.

9. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

Looks Great!!!

10. TankBuster

TankBuster Active Member

Very nice! I've got a beauty in a 44, but I'm hanging on to it. Andrew is right, they are tough to find. I took me quite a while. Ones with issues will come up from time to time but clean Sz44 examples with all original parts are a rare beast!

11. bazelot

bazelot Well-Known Member

I miss this one...

12. Dr H

Dr H Active Member

Jeff, have you posted this one on the Forum?
    I'd be interested to see it.
    Do you have dimensions?
    Best
    Ian

13. bazelot

I just bought a very generously sized size 42 G&F M-422A. I will post pics later today. It is in fantastic shape with very soft and supple leather.
    First flight jacket I have bought in a long long time. It's good to get back in the game :)

14. mrchina

mrchina Member

I have had an ELC G&F M422a since ELC offered them, I think middle/later 90's? Is there a review anywhere with regard to this jacket?
    Thanks,
    Don

15. Dr H

Dr H Active Member

16. mrchina

mrchina Member

Thanks Dr. H,

I had forgotten about Acme Depot.

Regards,
    Don

17. TankBuster

TankBuster Active Member

Hey Ian,

Sorry, just saw your question. I must have missed it. I can measure it up for you. I am a modern 42/44. The jacket fits me well. It is a tad long in the body, but better long than short IMO.

Here's the pics............ I have since darned the couple little snags on the original waistband

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANj3A in a 40 that fits as a 42 just for fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dr H

Dr H Active Member

Lovely brace Jeff - the G&F M-422A is the one for me...and in that size :mrgreen:

19. Grant

Grant Active Member

Being a bit of a zipper geek, thought I'd post a detail photo of the Talon puller on my 1st contract (NOS-88860) G&F M-422a. The zipper dates from 1942, same year as the contract. This same style puller was also used on the rare USN M-375 jacket made by W&G. Told you I was a zip geek!

TalonI.jpg

Roughwear likes this.
  20. bazelot

THis used to to be mine. It is truly a beautiful jacket. I should have kept it :)