• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoodWear vs Eastman. Does it have to be a battle?

269sqnhudson

Roughwear said:
269sqnhudson said:
Roughwear said:
Welcome back Jeff. Thanks for adding so helpfully to this post. Some of the newer members who have not handled originals or owned GWs need further advice when it comes to the accuracy ELC A2s. ;)

Or maybe they don't? :eek:
I've been at this for 12 years and again I fear we are once more on the precipice of an hysterical game of 'mine's better than yours'. I think the newer members are capable of finding out themselves rather than having you two ram it down their throats. I concur with the weaknesses of the ELC design but the smugness of those 'on high' really p****s me off.

I think perhaps you have over-reacted here. The debate is about the relative historical accuracy of Eastman A2s compared with Good Wear. The current GW A2s are much closer to originals than Eastman A2s. This is not an opinion but a fact. I'm very sorry if you feel I'm smug and am ramming my views down your throat. My comment about further advice for newer members was actually tongue in cheek and not intended to be smug. This forum is about informed debate and not about making personal comments as the code of conduct makes explicit.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

It's not a personal attack, it's an entirely fair criticism of what I see as unnecessary smugness. I also see posting the link to the code of conduct as a wee bit smug, must have my smugdar set to 11

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
philip.ed said:
Out of curiosity, surely the repros are only as good as the model the manufacturer is using as reference?
... I would save for a GW, but at the same time there is always a chance (in my opinion) that these repros will differ from other originals out there, even from the same contract.

Well sure, and John will make a clone of an original jacket for its owner, but remember he has handled many, many original A-2's ... just look at his CD. So unless it's a rare contract, John will have seen enough to capture the essence of the original he's reproducing.

If you look back at Rotenhahn's posts, he's pointing out that with the Rough Wear contract, Eastman doesn't manage to do this. There are details that don't appear on any original Rough Wear ...

if you had handled as many originals as he and if you weren't so prejudiced you'd easily see that Eastmans really for the most part look like Eastmans first and not WW2 A-2s!

Roughwear

I think perhaps you have over-reacted here. The debate is about the relative historical accuracy of Eastman A2s compared with Good Wear. The current GW A2s are much closer to originals than Eastman A2s. This is not an opinion but a fact. I'm very sorry if you feel I'm smug and am ramming my views down your throat. My comment about further advice for newer members was actually tongue in cheek and not intended to be smug. This forum is about informed debate and not about making personal comments as the code of conduct makes explicit.

It's not a personal attack, it's an entirely fair criticism of what I see as unnecessary smugness. I also see posting the link to the code of conduct as a wee bit smug, must have my smugdar set to 11

I'm glad it's not a personal attack but it did seem to be so with your use of a swear word and the over-use of "smugness".

269sqnhudson

Roughwear said:

I'm glad it's not a personal attack but it did seem to be so with your use of a swear word and the over-use of "smugness".

Sorry Andrew, just re-read my posts and was hamming it up a bit too much. Apologies

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
philip.ed said:
Out of curiosity, surely the repros are only as good as the model the manufacturer is using as reference?
... I would save for a GW, but at the same time there is always a chance (in my opinion) that these repros will differ from other originals out there, even from the same contract.

Well sure, and John will make a clone of an original jacket for its owner, but remember he has handled many, many original A-2's ... just look at his CD. So unless it's a rare contract, John will have seen enough to capture the essence of the original he's reproducing.

If you look back at Rotenhahn's posts, he's pointing out that with the Rough Wear contract, Eastman doesn't manage to do this. There are details that don't appear on any original Rough Wear ...

if you had handled as many originals as he and if you weren't so prejudiced you'd easily see that Eastmans really for the most part look like Eastmans first and not WW2 A-2s!

I agree with David here. There were variations within contracts and JC makes the most typical example from a contract after handling many surviving examples. He's always trying to raise his game and offer yet more excellent repros from a wide range of contracts. No other A2 maker currently offers as many different contracts of A2 as GW. When was the last time ELC launched a totally new A2? The Werber around 5 years ago.

Roughwear

[/quote]

I'm glad it's not a personal attack but it did seem to be so with your use of a swear word and the over-use of "smugness".[/quote]
Sorry Andrew, just re-read my posts and was hamming it up a bit too much. Apologies
[/quote]

That's OK. I thought it might be the seasonal spirit talking!
Sorry if you though I was smug, but it was not intended to come over that way. :)

cmk-2

As fas as Eastman new A-2's... keep your eyes peeled for 2011. Did Gary say 3 new A-2's....NO it was 4....No it was 5. Yep 5 new A-2 for 2011. At least that is my understanding. And NO they won't have side hand warmer pockets or be made of lamb skin as some might suggest. :D

Grant

I just had the chance to see a buddy's new ELC Monarch and RW B-3 after a couple months of hard wear and they both looked exceptional. He painted the Monarch's Talon zip with brown enamel to match the originals which was a cool touch on a jacket nerd would notice. The new warhorse hide used on the Monarch really grained up nicely.

He had the ELC Monarch in a stack of original A-2s' including Aero's, a United, Dubow and Star. At first glance I thought they were all originals.

Roughwear

Grant said:
I just had the chance to see a buddy's new ELC Monarch and RW B-3 after a couple months of hard wear and they both looked exceptional. He painted the Monarch's Talon zip with brown enamel to match the originals which was a cool touch on a jacket nerd would notice. The new warhorse hide used on the Monarch really grained up nicely.

He had the ELC Monarch in a stack of original A-2s' including Aero's, a United, Dubow and Star. At first glance I thought they were all originals.

Pictures of the hard worn Monarch would be interesting to get an idea how the Italian hh breaks in.

majormajor1

Roughwear said:
Pictures of the hard worn Monarch would be interesting to get an idea how the Italian hh breaks in.

Here's my Eastman Monarch after about 6 weeks of fairly constant wear. I'm very happy with the way it's looking :D

dscf1200fk.jpg

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
I'm sure it's just me but every time I read your posts the voice I hear in my head is that of Jello Biafra..... don't ask me why.
It's because he looks a bit like him, and rants a bit like him. :)