• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear in Stingray hide

zoomer

All this in-reference stuff...I've been on 3 different VLJs so far and I still don't get all that.

Can I, like, scrape a little off my 1401 and send it to some lab somewhere to find out if the DNA is horse, cow, pig, or aardvark?

aardvark.gif

An aardvark once bit my sister. No, not really. I have no sister, and anyway they only eat bugs.

Vcruiser

zoomer said:
All this in-reference stuff...I've been on 3 different VLJs so far and I still don't get all that.

Can I, like, scrape a little off my 1401 and send it to some lab somewhere to find out if the DNA is horse, cow, pig, or aardvark?

Well....there's been 5 VLJs.

You probably could send it in......but weren't they specific about what kinda "hide" you were going to get??...and tell you upfront?? Surely so.......

airfrogusmc

Vcruiser said:
zoomer said:

Well....there's been 5 VLJs.

You probably could send it in......but weren't they specific about what kinda "hide" you were going to get??...and tell you upfront?? Surely so.......

You'd think wouldn't ya ?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Chandler

Vcruiser said:
I mean c'mon...I will post my opinions..and how I judge certain situations whether it convinces you or not. Sounds like the scorn is bubbling from you.
VB

Sorry, no scorn at all, just solid skeptisism. Whatever the case, I'll try to take some time to read those posts you mention, but based on your tone -- I imagine you're probably correct, they probably have no real facts to convince me that there was foul play.

Chandler

Chandler

fedoralover said:
Chandler, if you register at this free pic hosting site.
http://photobucket.com/

You can then download pics from your computer to it and then from there you just copy and paste the link from the site in your posts and the pic will show up.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Chandler

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
AAAHHH poor lil swingy...PMS'n sweetheart? Why not comment. Allot folks weren't around when that happened. Kinda thought I'd do a little stroll down memory lane.

Wow. Whole lots'a junior high coming down all of a sudden.

Zoomer hit the nail when he said it's all in how his jackets look and fit, why be so hung up on the hide? Early on in my jacket obsession I thought I wanted nothing but authentic horse hide, then I never really saw any proof that jackets were just horse hide (goat being used too) -- after all, there was a war on, why wouldn't anything available be used as long as it fit the bill (trying to rule out softer hides that would probably not stand up to the usual military wear). So when I saw an ELC Star in steerhide on E-bay (yeah, now I'm trusting the seller -- think he tried to pass off a horse jacket on me? ;) ), I decided to snap it up -- glad I did. Fit's me just about the best of any flight jacket I own - and the hide is very nice; pebbly and grainy, soft, but not lambskin-like, so it drapes nicely.

So, if stingray hide will fit the bill too -- why not?

Chandler

airfrogusmc

I agree but shouldn't it be clear what you're buying? Never had this kind a hide issue with any other maker.

Robman

We get so hung up on this label not being right, zip not right but a steerhide A2 is fine??

Sorry for the rant.

airfrogusmc

Oh Chandler this is kinda the same argument that I have been having with Swing since the OLD FJE days. A few around here remember :roll:

A few folks posted a few kind remarks about Aero on the very pro Eastman FJE site and suddenly you would have thought the Pope had been shot. It got so bad they shut the site down blaming it on the buggers on the back of the bus. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Eastman didn't do anything illegal but I don't think the were very clear in their marketing during that period. Just gets my back up when some of the Eastman faithful start coming at other makers when NO REPRO is original. Only an original can be that; original.

airfrogusmc

Robman said:
We get so hung up on this label not being right, zip not right but a steerhide A2 is fine??

Sorry for the rant.

:lol: :lol:

Robman and I'll go on to say steer is fine as long as its VERY CLEAR thats what your paying for and getting.

Robman

True Allen, if it's (steerhide) on the up and up. Deception is not cool.

My point is that some of us almost have to apologize if we like a certain brand of A2 and are God forbid happy with it...yet the "flavor of the day" A2s have flaws too, but that's OK!

Vcruiser

Chandler said:
Vcruiser said:
I mean c'mon...I will post my opinions..and how I judge certain situations whether it convinces you or not. Sounds like the scorn is bubbling from you.
VB

Sorry, no scorn at all, just solid skeptisism. Whatever the case, I'll try to take some time to read those posts you mention, but based on your tone -- I imagine you're probably correct, they probably have no real facts to convince me that there was foul play.

Chandler

I don't remember mentioning "Foul" play....but "fair"play might have entered into the equation. All the top A2 repro manufactures push their HH WW2 A2 jacket copies. If you want steer...goat...or even buffalo...it may also be offered. If the customer makes a selection of one of those optional specific hides.....then I'm sure everyone agrees...that is what he should get. Otherwize..most would think that only just the word "hide" would mean HH that is normally offered on top highend repros. When that is brought into question after the fact...and if the manufacture will not guarantee that all..or any of the "hide" jackets were,indeed,Horsehide..or..Why,gosh no..that means Steer..it can not only seem unfair to the customer..but the question of "why" can rear it's ugly head. Why make it so vague or tricky? I'm sure if a top-end repro company offered "grainy hide"...that might only only be impressed cowhide...most,if not all,would want the rest of the discription included before laying down their cash money.
I'm not going to go back and re-read old posts. Once was enough.....but that's very close to the way I remember the controversy. If you want to go back and get a clear look at how some were effected and what "facts" did surface...fine...if you'd rather have no idea of the circumstances and dismiss all this as just rumor mongering then..go right ahead on.
BTW...my tone comes about simply because of your blind allegiance. No biggie,tho...most all of us have been guilty of that at one time or other....
Van

airfrogusmc

Robman said:
True Allen, if it's (steerhide) on the up and up. Deception is not cool.

My point is that some of us almost have to apologize if we like a certain brand of A2 and are God forbid happy with it...yet the "flavor of the day" A2s have flaws too, but that's OK!

I agree 100%. The only way to have a 100% authentic original is to have an original.

Swing

Chandler said:
airfrogusmc said:
AAAHHH poor lil swingy...PMS'n sweetheart? Why not comment. Allot folks weren't around when that happened. Kinda thought I'd do a little stroll down memory lane.

Wow. Whole lots'a junior high coming down all of a sudden.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Are we 13 years old again?

And he side steps my question. I've already said I think it was shitty business that ELC didn't state you needed to specifically state horse, and it gives the appearance of underhanded business, even if that is not what was intended. Dumb on their part, but old news, and like I said, I wonder why our resident historian brought it up again (and seems to bring it up on a regular basis). They must have really hurt his feelings or something somewhere along the line.

~Swing

shanghai joe

originals all the way for ole joe...........come to think of it I still have a BR but it's a tanker NOT an A2 so that doesn't count.......

anyone fancy a BR tanker...fair price???? you know who to call.......

airfrogusmc

Man talk about panties still in a bunch :shock: I don't care one way or another just kinda funny that you (swing) of all people would be making these comments considering all the HISTORY.....

So is that your boyfriend leavin ya again there in your avatar sweetheart? Boy he didn't have ta call ya the B word though. :shock:

airfrogusmc

Well I was being called 13 might as well not disappoint plus one needs to communicate at the level you can clearly understand. Seems like other ways don't much work.

I'm sure he'll come back once he cools off but calling you a bitch..I donno but we all know how moody you can be...