• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Perry 23377 Size 44, patched CBI - Images

Dr H

I posted images from a comparison of couple of original A-2 jackets by Perry Sportswear a little while ago (in goastkin and horsehide). Perry Sportswear (of Newburgh, New York) produced two A-2 contracts from the fiscal year of 1942. This is a copy of the older, smaller goatskin contract (W535ac23377).

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9341.jpg

John Chapman has recently copied the pattern carefully from a dissected jacket in poor condition and so this, the latest version of the Perry is extremely close to the originals of this contract that I have owned. Here, modelled by the man responsible...

patches_2.jpg

patches_1.jpg

In common with the horsehide contract, the goatskin jacket has a collar stand, nipple snaps, and a Conmar zipper (this GW has an NOS Conmar fitted).

Characteristic of these patterns are the short, rounded collar points and pocket flaps with a shallow curve to the bottom edge and stitch lines that are spaced further from the edge of the flap than is typical. There is open box stitching reinforcement at top corners of the pockets. One of my previous 23377s had a three-piece inner wind flap and this has been copied faithfully here.

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9344.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

This jacket also has layered leather CBI patches on the sleeves, which have been extremely well aged.

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

The photographs were taken outside with typical April weather: sunshine one moment, cloudy skies the next (with a dash in to avoid the showers) so colour varies in the shots - the last are probably the best guide. The goatskin is a deep russet and is a remarkable hide - I owned a GW Doniger in goat in 2008 and this is a league above.

Fine looking jacket, the Perry...

ButteMT61

Ian, it's beautiful, but I'm confused. The pics are all over the place, color-wise. Which are accurate?

Dr H

That's the beauty of Blighty weather/light levels Scott!

The best match for colour - either John's images, or the sleeve shot with the CBI star.

It's a dark russet, but not as red as in the other images.

Cheers

Ian

Persimmon

mindful said:
yeah i love it colour looks awesome and chapman looks super cool in this jacket.

Well he might, but where or where is Dr H wearing it !!!

Come on Ian ....

Dr H

Thanks for the compliments, which are due to JC - John makes a quite stunning Perry in either hide - having had the opportunity to study a dissected jacket, he has the pattern down very well indeed.

Jason

Superb in every respect! And no doubt it'll look even better with a bit of wear & break in. Congratulations Ian, you must be in Perry heaven now :lol:

Dr H

Hi Wayne
Looks like it - can't claim the credit for those either, but I would have so if they'd been pristine.
They do look period...
Cheers
Ian