• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear 20960 hide/color recommendations

JWS4th

So the time has come to pick the hide color for my GW 20960 pattern jacket. John sent me a test jacket for size and a 46 fits just right. The big decision is what color horsehide finish to go with! The three I am pondering are in no order, Seal brown (not the dark seal) dull russet and the reddish russet, all aniline vegetable tanned. Wondering how they each look after wear and which might be truer to the year and pattern. Anyone who has a GW jacket with these finishes please give me your opinion and or advise. I think I have finally come to the end of my search for the perfect reproduction A-2, it has been a long journey.

CBI

no question - seal brown - great color, authentic but has a nice contemporary look.

ScottoLaw

Hello

Congrats on your pending 20960. I took possession of the same about a month ago. I have the seal brown anniline and it is really a nice finish. It has a soft shine to it and is a medium color brown. Here are a few pics. Good luck with your decision.

Scott

178.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

High Iron

Agreed, hard to go wrong with the aniline seal. I have a RW 27752 that is a couple years old and is aging beautifully. I highly recommend it.

better duck

I have both the seal and the reddish brown, both worn a lot. Especially the seal RW has worn a lot, and the colour has faded: love it.
I'll try to post pictures that do them justice this weekend.

blackrat2

Hi
Dont know if this will help or not....if you go for the dull brown it would be worth speaking to JC.
I have Cooper number two and the dull brown is very flat almost like pigment brown...i spoke with JC as i liked the look of the SAT jackets on his site and they appear to be made from a batch of leather from 2010, mine being 2011.
I have an order in for Seal brown on another A2 and have owned a Poughkeepsie in Seal which i have sold on...the seal brown is an amazing colour and changes in colour depending on the light the jacket is worn in....as i say hope this may have helped but probably best to call JC and discuss as he can tell you what he currently has.

better duck

better duck said:
I have both the seal and the reddish brown, both worn a lot. Especially the seal RW has worn a lot, and the colour has faded: love it.

Here you are:
first the GW Dubow when new:

GWDubow27798HH2010new.jpg

The GW Dubow as it is now (photos taken in the shade)

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26front.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26back.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26sleeve.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26emblem.jpg

Then the GW Roughwear 27752 when new:
IMG_6196A.jpg

IMG_6195A.jpg

The GW Roughwear as it is now (photos taken in the shade):

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26front.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26leftside.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26back.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26collarback.jpg

grommet

My 2 cents: My GW Acme/Aero is also seal brown aniline and I love it.

Regarding wait time: I placed an order with John in November, so it is going on a year.

grommet

better duck said:
better duck said:

Here you are:
first the GW Dubow when new:

GWDubow27798HH2010new.jpg

The GW Dubow as it is now (photos taken in the shade)

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26front.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26back.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26sleeve.jpg

GWDubow27798HH2011-10-26emblem.jpg

Then the GW Roughwear 27752 when new:
IMG_6196A.jpg

IMG_6195A.jpg

The GW Roughwear as it is now (photos taken in the shade):

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26front.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26leftside.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26back.jpg

GWRW27752HH2011-10-26collarback.jpg

Peter:

These are great pictures.
Which contract numbers are these? Which do you find most comfortable to wear?

Thanks.

Andrew

They are both beautiful but the seal particularly. Interesting though every one of the originals i've had through my hands are all what I supose you'd call a cross between seal and russet. I suspect that actual russett is a bit less common.

Here's some original colour shots of what i'd call russett and the last is a reasonably recent shot of the Skipper of Rat Poison- I have one of the crewman's jackets.

IMG_3869.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

A-2RatPoison.jpg

Dr H

I hope that when they were allocating positions in the aircraft, the guy one from the right hand end got the belly turret and not his neighbour...

tater

grommet said:
My 2 cents: My GW Acme/Aero is also seal brown aniline and I love it.

Regarding wait time: I placed an order with John in November, so it is going on a year.

OK, so did I, so I'm coming up I guess.

better duck

grommet said:
These are great pictures. Which contract numbers are these? Which do you find most comfortable to wear? Thanks.

Hi Alan,
They are Dubow 27798 and RW 27752, both by John 'Goodwear' Chapman. The Dubow is by a small margin more comfortable. Both are size 46, but the Dubow is slightly more roomy, especially in the chest area. Stretching my arms is slightly less restrictive, especially when riding my BMW K1200RS. But both are snug, without being tight. I love wearing them, and wear both regularly (as in "almost always": it is either the one or the other). For reference: I am 6'1" and weigh around 95 kg