• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear 1939 Werber in Russet

Andrew

$1109, pretty amazing price as you can buy a new one for $40 more. :shock:

All I can think of is the buyer plans to try to extract some JC DNA to clone himself another John.

Jeff M

Jaguar46 said:
Wow.

Here is a Goodwear (Goodyear??) going for $1235, and the bidding is not over. :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXOTIC-A-2-A2-R ... 2320179400

Actually, the seller STARTED the bidding at $1235.
Been up for about a week now.
0 bids.
Not surprising. :roll:

The occasional over-exuberant ignorant eBay buyer new to the item does not a market make.

Andrew said:
$1109, pretty amazing price as you can buy a new one for $40 more. :shock:

Yep. Custom made to your size. With choice of leather.
No explaining some people.

Andrew

DG567 said:
I was the second high bidder - you owe me the difference from the $700 buy it now you quoted me.

DG, was p***n( 363) really you or am I just missing the joke? Even if not I 'm still curious to see why an item is bid up ike that to obviously find out where it will ceiling out. I've seen it work with original items but rarely with soemthing that can be ordered up with a bit of a wait.

p***n( 363) kicked off the auction with the first bid of $200, then came in with the last 10 mins with a vengeance.

t***n( 121)
US $1,109.00
May-27-12 13:49:17 PDT

Member Id: p***n( 363)
US $1,084.00
May-27-12 15:04:00 PDT

US $1,034.00
May-27-12 15:02:02 PDT

US $999.00
May-27-12 14:59:05 PDT

US $965.01
May-27-12 14:58:55 PDT

US $945.01
May-27-12 14:58:37 PDT

US $911.02
May-27-12 14:58:22 PDT

US $891.01
May-27-12 14:57:25 PDT

US $871.01
May-27-12 14:57:13 PDT

US $851.01
May-27-12 14:56:50 PDT

US $821.01
May-27-12 14:56:30 PDT

US $801.01
May-27-12 14:56:16 PDT

US $701.01
May-27-12 14:56:02 PDT

US $671.00
May-27-12 14:55:43 PDT

DG567

Really was me. I was curious as to what the bidder bid, if I won I would have paid I am going to order the same jacket when my turn come around. If I won, I would have ordered something else from JC. I was just a little annoyed because a buy it now price of $700 was mentioned to me as soon as the auction started, and I told the seller I would pay the $700.

dmar836

Dan,
Once bids are placed, the BIN option disappears. That's not George's(the seller's) fault.
I have had this happen as well - see an item, contemplate the BIN, come back to buy and there is no more option. That's an Ebay policy.
Just to ding away at the price rather than pulling the trigger does nothing but ensure that if you don't win, others pay much more than they would have needed. $20 increments isn't a serious attempt to outbid anyone. Kinda mean to the buyer actually since he had nothing to do with it.

JMO,
Dave

Jeff M

dmar836 said:
Dan,
Once bids are placed, the BIN option disappears. That's not George's(the seller's) fault.
I have had this happen as well - see an item, contemplate the BIN, come back to buy and there is no more option. That's an Ebay policy.
Just to ding away at the price rather than pulling the trigger does nothing but ensure that if you don't win, others pay much more than they would have needed. $20 increments isn't a serious attempt to outbid anyone. Kinda mean to the buyer actually since he had nothing to do with it.

JMO,
Dave

Yep.
One screwed auction for the final bidder.
Still...nobody held a gun to their head to place that final bid.
Not sure if that was ignorance or mania.

ButteMT61

DG567 said:
Really was me. I was curious as to what the bidder bid, if I won I would have paid I am going to order the same jacket when my turn come around. If I won, I would have ordered something else from JC. I was just a little annoyed because a buy it now price of $700 was mentioned to me as soon as the auction started, and I told the seller I would pay the $700.

Nobody owes you anything. If one contemplates a BIN and snoozes, they loses.
I did that early on in eBay'ing and lost on some great items/deals. To the fella that bought the GW for a high price, well, not my call on whether it was stupid or not. If someone deems it worth the money, it is. Maybe they thought it was an original? In that case, they shoulda done due diligence. Maybe they have a buyer and time is an issue? Nobody here knows unless it was someone here. Maybe they'll flip it to some unknowing chump as a WWII item in mint condition? It's bound to start happening at some point with the quality of some of the repro's being made.

Bottom line is you didn't get screwed though. It's a bummer to contemplate too long and lose out, but that comes with experience. I think only once have I regretted snapping up something like that in a quick decision - that's the only downside. You gotta know what you're buying and trust that the item is as advertised.

SuinBruin

BIN price stays up if the auction has a reserve price, until the reserve is met. There are some bidders out there who throw out the minimum bid where there is a BIN to get the BIN to go away, no doubt with the hope that they can come back and snipe the item for less than the BIN price. If you want the BIN to last awhile, just set a reasonable reserve.

Andrew

Thanks for clearing that up Dan, quite frank of you really but the others are spot on.

It still intrigues me as to what the winner is up to- is he possibly trying to spend his inheritance to build up a GW Museum? If so I have two beauties he can have for $1100 each.

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
ausreenactor said:
contrailsforchrist..

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... world=true

A regular buyer of A-2s... prostaff4ever, makumbe, motelbuyer and gpstorageco. Amassing a bit of a collection. Anybody know this well heeled buyer?

Couchy

You missed Contrailschaser.... ;)
Contrailsforchrist, Contrailschaser.....some connection perhaps ? I remember Contrailschaser used to put "God bless" or something at the bottom of his auction listings. Perhaps these jackets will re-appear as painted originals in years to come.

DG567

I don't feel like I did anything wrong. If I would have won, I would have paid - like I said, this is the exact jacket I am going to order from JC when my order is ready to be placed. If I would have won this I would have simply ordered something else, two GW A2s is better than 1 right? Maybe the buyer doesn't want to wait 10 months, I know I don't!

Oops! I actually haven't been on VLJ since early on in the auction so wasn't able to see this thread develop or answer Daniel's PM's. I had better set the record straight for everybody. Daniel did contact me, but AFTER the first bid was placed. When that happens, nothing else can be changed in the listing aside from adding revision notes. What I wrote back was that if I could have added a BIN price, it would have most likely been $750, but that it was no longer possible to do so legitimately on Ebay, and ending the auction early as a way to do a non-official private BIN was highly frowned upon in the VLJ community and that I would not do that again (having made that mistake earlier on in another auction and suffering the disapproval). After that point I had not been back on VLJ and did not receive any other messages via Ebay either. I would have certainly clarified the point further if I had, as I am not out to disappoint any of my buyers or potential buyers, Daniel included. If I known and could have added a $750 BIN legitimately through Ebay, then I would have as I had no idea that the price would have come as high as it did. I know Doug very well and I personally introduced him to John Chapman (who he visited in Seattle last month). We are all fans of John's and Doug appears to be very happy about winning the jacket. I have sold him another GW as well as an original Dubow, and he has two other GW's on order with John now, so he is quite familiar with the product. We hope to meet each other sometime soon as he is a commercial airline pilot. I will buy him dinner as we have much more in common than jackets. I did not know that he was going to be bidding on this jacket, but after the bidding was over he emailed me that he was really keen on it. I have had the same experience with an Eastman '33 Werber that Grant was selling. I bid it up to $1156 knowing full well that I could get another one made for less. I regretted not going up to $1300 for it because it really hit a sweet spot with me. As jacket collectors we all know that even with repros, some come out far more to our liking than others. In fact, I actually prefer buying jackets that I have seen the pictures of because then I know exactly what I am getting and why I want it. It's a bit more of a surprise when you don't see it until it first comes out of the box, even if it is from someone you place a lot of trust in such as JC. In any case, I certainly did not mean to cause any controversy by properly listing and selling a jacket, so please forgive me for the long and detailed explanation. Thank you for your inputs! All the best to you gentlemen!

ButteMT61

Well done. Thanks for the post, it's nice to know someone cares enough to take the time to explain things out in the open.
Looks like I shoulda been a pilot - those guys seem to keep JC busy and the line long for the rest of us :lol: