• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Vintage Flight Suit??

devilish

Does anyone know of a place to buy a nice early (WWII or Korean) era flight suit or mechanics coverall repro or good condition original? Thanks.

unclegrumpy

Many of the guys on this forum have them, but you need to get more specific.

For example, what size are you looking for? What color or type? What condition does it need to be in? And so on.

devilish

I'm not too sure on details as this is not my area of expertise but I'm thinking more the coverall type really. No zippers on legs etc. in OD green or herringbone twill. I take a 44 in jackets, 34 waist and 32 inseam. Preferably with a belted waist. Does that help?

a2jacketpatches

devilish said:
I'm not too sure on details as this is not my area of expertise but I'm thinking more the coverall type really. No zippers on legs etc. in OD green or herringbone twill. I take a 44 in jackets, 34 waist and 32 inseam. Preferably with a belted waist. Does that help?
Think i may have what you're looking for in the perfect size. Give me a little whil and I get some pictures up.

tom james

In case you are sitting on a bunch of flightsuits, would you have or know the whereabouts of a wool AN-6550 in a 46 or 48 long?

unclegrumpy

tom james said:
In case you are sitting on a bunch of flightsuits, would you have or know the whereabouts of a wool AN-6550 in a 46 or 48 long?
Wow, that's a tall order! :lol:

devilish

a2jacketpatches said:
devilish said:
Think i may have what you're looking for in the perfect size. Give me a little whil and I get some pictures up.

Thanks, that would be great.

unclegrumpy

Clark J said:
I have a size 48 A-4 in good wearable condition I could let go,,,,,
Wow, it is amazing to hear you have a 48 to offer up, those are almost impossible of to find! Someone ought to be dancing right now....

unclegrumpy

devilish said:
I pm'ed Clark J about it. I'm thinking it might be too big for me but you never know.
I think if what you really want is something in HBT in a 44, you are not going to have too much trouble finding something. Actually, given you are willing to stretch into the Korean War, means you will have more choices. Going to "OD green" puts you into the later 1950's and 1960's or so, and that opens up even more opportunities.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, I have a later version, but trying to get into it tells me it's about a 44 but can't read the tags. Anyway, here a few photos and the nape of neck to bottom of pant leg measurement is 56", Sleeve is about 23" Not sure what you're trying to accomplish because your request is not very specific, but you're welcome to these for 20 bucks and could probably stuff in a large flat rate. They also have hand guided machine embroidered tags, likely Asian made. A few darning type field repair stitches as well.

devilish

Thanks for pulling those out for me Patches. I think I'm going to keep searching for a pair with a belt at the waist. I know my request is not very specific. I'm not really trying to recreate any particular era. I just wanted a set of coveralls/flight suit to go under my flight jackets. I have a picture from a blog somewhere of the look I'm after, if I can find that I'll post it to show what I mean.

devilish

Actually, looking at this photo again, I think this might be all USMC gear or close to it. M-422/A or G-1, herringbone twill and boondockers.

tumblr_lfoxyzA8Qd1qfvswko1_500_zpsfbeb5406.jpg

unclegrumpy

I can't really see enough of these HBT coveralls to tell, but it looks like an Army one. The Navy had them too, very similar in many respects, except the design on the buttons is different. These also come in two shades of green, the ones in the photo are the lighter of the two.

a2jacketpatches

No problem at all. I pass those up all the time in good condition and there's more than you can shake a stick at on Ebay. Looks like a decent repop will cost you 119- plus shipping from Singapore.

foster

The coveralls in the image look like the basic US Army HBT overalls (this does not mean the USMC never obtained any). There were two patterns, and this looks to be the later style.