• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Mouton

Maverickson

Over the past months I have been experimenting with different colored moutons to achieve the appropriate look for the collar material of a Willis & Geiger M-422A which is getting ready to be sent out to be refurbished. This same flight jacket was purchased by me as a result of Hawkeye discovering it as seen in his thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2751&p=27894#p27894.

Since purchasing this jacket I have been busy sourcing all the material necessary to bring this old jacket back to it's former glory. For months I was looking for a nice mouton which would compliment the jacket. After trying several different colored examples as luck would have it I struck upon this very dark brown mouton from a vintage women's garment.

Mouton1-1-1.jpg

This picture seen next is the result of that same dark colored mouton from five months of direct sunlight. Most of that time it sat in on the dashboard of my automobile.

Mouton2-1.jpg

I was amazed to see the transformation in colors between the original dark colored mouton. This difference is seen by this picture of the golden brown next to the original colored unfaded and dark brown mouton.

Mouton3-1.jpg

The current color of the mouton is just about right and am pleased with the golden brown color. You guys can be looking forward to seeing this same large sized Willis & Geiger M-422A as a completed project in the near future :D .

ghq1

Nice results . . . well done

Eastman can keep their "time worn" aging. . .

You've got "dashboard vintage" . . or "windswept top deck" finish

Atticus

That's pretty cool, Dave. I've often wondered if G-1 mouton and MA-1 nylon changed color because of high-altitude, UV sunlight exposure. Your "experiement" seems to show that, at least with respect to mouton, even low altitude exposure will change the color of the material fairly quickly.

AF

Maverickson

Actually I struck upon the notion to get a dark brown mouton after viewing the photograph from this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3493&p=34951&hilit=FLynn#p34951 . So here he is again!

ErolFlynn.jpg

If that piece of mouton had not faded as I thought that it would it seemed to me that I would have still been miles ahead. I really like the look of Flynn's jacket but still enjoy that vintage look. So I am going to use the dark mouton with one of my G-1 Werber jackets that will be going out with that M-422A in hopes to achieve that same look :cool: as seen on Flynn's jacket.

Cheers, Dave