• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson & Barnes M422a

Does anyone have a Gibson & Barnes M422a or G1 they could comment on ?

I was thinking of getting an ELC but looking on the G&B site their jackets look like a good spec and a really good price compared to ELC

Hamsterbear

I have a mint like new G&B m-422a in a 40Reg, which in reality fits like a 42-44reg as they are bigger than marked, that I may sell.
Nice jacket, I have another one I've been wearing for a few years now.
-Brian
BriansHPphotos958.jpg

zoomer

This is my Gibson in size 40. It'd do for a 42 but is a little trim for a 44.
The smallish parts for me are the sleeve lengths and the collar, which needed a hot water stretch to latch shut.
The pencil slot won't take an old type, fat body pen - too narrow.
Goatskin is somewhat stiff, loosening up after some soaking, and has a very crisp appearance.
Waistband has gone a little slack (it is the loose knit type without elastic).
Liner is a nice brick color rayon bemberg, letting go at the typical places (arm-to-back seams).
Zipper is a nickel Talon. It's hard to engage, as the male tab is very deeply recessed.

2126891489_128d6bbdee_o.jpg

1736342200_252f1313c6_o.jpg

1735487901_d8f06bd8e3_o.jpg

Thanks for the info Guys, some great pictures there as well.
I'm sorely tempted to order a G&B G1 for $380 which seems a very good price with current exchange rate.
But I still have a nagging doubt and think the ELC will be better , but then again..........

zoomer

Just relatively speaking, $200 extra does seem a lot for the 422 vs the G-1 considering they're so close in design. The big differences seem to be the color of the lining and collar fur and one slightly bigger pocket.

I got my 422 used for $275, tho, so I can't kick. :) All I had to do was unstitch a nameplate the last guy had put on (to Marion Carl, and no, it was never his jacket).
carl4.jpg

Robman

I have an original Gordon & Ferguson M422A in a size 48 and it measures out almost identically and wears almost identically to my 44 Gibson & Barnes M422A....if that helps.

airfrogusmc

johnny english said:
Hey Brian,

They look like a nice Jacket , do you know how they compare the ELC version.

Sounds like I'll need a 38 in the G&B

The G&B back is cut right the Eastman is cut like a modern G-1.

SteveN

Does anyone know how the RMNZ M-422A compares to ELC? I seem to remember hearing favorable comments on the old forum. I've been thinking of going to New Zealand (still never been there!) and would combine the trip with a stop over at the factory.

Cheers,
- SteveN

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:
Does anyone know how the RMNZ M-422A compares to ELC?

I haven't seen an ELC up close Steve, but the RMNZ is a real nice jacket. I have a 7823, but back when they had the russet, I tried some on at the factory.

If you come over, and see Paddy, there's usually a discount on any of those Navy jackets, if they're in stock.

I have a RMNZ M-422a and I really like it. Its a really great looking jacket all around. As far as its accuracy goes, I sent it up To John Chapman to take measurements since I don't have an A-2 and asked him about his thoughts on the subject since I've never seen an original in the flesh. He mentioned three things.

1. The pockets were a bit too large. I don't know if this applies to all of their jackets since mine is a 46. They may scale up the pockets proportionally as the jacket size increases. If so this might only be true of their big M-422a's.

2. The bi-swing pleats are deeper than originals. All I know is it doesn't bat-wing on me.

3. The goatskin is somewhat heavier than originals. It is a heavy jacket and it does take a while to break in. Nice goat though.

None of these things bother me, I wouldn't know the difference myself.

SteveN

deeb7 said:
SteveN said:
Does anyone know how the RMNZ M-422A compares to ELC?
back when they had the russet

Did original M-422's come in russet, or is this something that RMNZ came up with? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an original in russet.

- SteveN

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:
Did original M-422's come in russet, or is this something that RMNZ came up with?

The early jackets were made in quite a variety of colours, the more uniform dark brown came later.

If you get a copy of the John Chapman CD, there's plenty of pictures of originals.