• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Chennault's A-2

442RCT

I've seen many photos of Gen. Claire Chennault's A-2, but until recently, never saw the blood chit sewn inside.

On the Smithsonian's NASM website, there is a kewl photo and a little history. The A-2 was donated by Max Chennault.
A19781378000.JPG

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19781378000

Hamsterbear

this would be an easy jacket to replicate

Yes, it is.....
This is my "Chennault" Flying Tigers jacket, also an Aero Leather (of Scotland):
AeroRealDealChennault01.jpg

FlyingTigerjacket.jpg

zoomer

Pardon the digression...but I happened on this while searching Corbis.com today and couldn't resist sharing. It's not Chennault's A-2 as above, but it is Chennault in an A-2.
5470333484_ccd6017e54_o.jpg

"Claire Chennault and his two wingmen, Luke Williamson and Billy McDonald, of the Flying Trapeze, an Army precision-flying team, at an airshow in Miami." January 11, 1935.

From the San Diego Air Museum on Flickr. Obviously a Werber 1729. It sure would be neat to see that patch in more detail.
4669088451_985c8145f0_b.jpg

http://aerobaticteams.net/men-on-the-flying-trapeze.html said:
Three Men on the Flying Trapeze aerobatic display team was organized in 1932 at the US Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., and flew P-12 pursuit aircraft. The team was formed by ex-Three Musketeers member Capt. Claire L. Chennault and was disbanded in 1936 while all pilots went to China early in World War II and served with the Flying Tigers. [...] From these four years of Three Men on the Flying Trapeze team existence they performed in about 50 airshow in front of more than 50,000 peoples.

Marrk

zoomer, thanks!

Nice to see them wearing their jackets long — which is how I like to wear my A-2s.