• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

TOMG1401

Please hold off retirement and evaluate a few Goodwear jackets, as a very long time reader of Acme Depot it would only seem fitting to cap it off with what is now been declared the Holy Grail of the A-2 reproduction

Andrew

MarcW said:
This terrific book has stirred me out of jacket retirement, and I've written a review. Find it at http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/Eastman_book.html

Back to retirement and more time with this book….

Marc
Great review Marc.

I love the book, especially the design and it's fabric cover. I've only skimmed through it so my comments are limited;
- more should have been mentioned of the influence of private purchase A-1 style jackets that existed years before the official design was "invented"- look up Kingsford Smith or any other mid 1920's flyer.
- I know it caused a big stink but I think there's too many pages devoted to DNA in the most prominent part of the book. Also on the back of this i reckon theres a little too much stock placed on the abilty to determine all other leather types visually in the data plates.
- shame there wasnt a small appendix for unofficial A-2's ie the V505 A-2. I thought if anyone could find info on that mystery Gary could. It's certainly not a book topic on its own.

As they say my 2cents.

zoomer

Gary's concentration is probably on official contracts because that best reinforces ELC's repro line and its image as a "Supply Depot." He really might not care about backstory like the civvy designs that predated the A-1.

johnwayne

Finally relented and ordred my copy - I'm told a low number but to be honest that didn't bother me. Having read Mark's evaluation I'm looking forward to getting it in the next day or two. I guess one hang up in not ordereing before now was the price, only because I work in the print/publishing industry so have a good idea what it's true value might be and as a result, think it's a little overpriced if I'm honest. Neverthess, I have to have a copy!
One point that Mark picks up on is the size - not sure why Gary went for the size it is but it was printed in the UK and virtually all paper is supplied here in A sizes starting with A1, then A2 honestly(!!) and reduce down to what most know being A4, which is 297x210mm (11 3/4" x 8 1/4") so I'm sure it could be at least that size at no extra cost!!
Will be keen to critique the print quality if anyone is interested (albeit subjective you could argue) but don't wish to be picky for the sake of it.
Cheers
Wayne

johnwayne

Hello all
further to my last comment my copy duly arrived and I have to say Im glad I decided to get my personal copy signed and a low number as promised when I ordered. As a technical reference to A2's alone it's a first class production, however, and I really dont wish to be overly critical but at £70 is way over priced - as someone in the print publishing trade I believe it's true cost is likely to be around £10, albeit I guess that's irrelevent to most of us as it's worth is in enjoying it - to the man on the street the price we pay for both repro and original jackets is crazy!

What I would say is that typographically its really poor - John Chapman being a former graphic designer will tell you that for readablity text should be in columns with plenty of white space around - the borders around the text could be twice what they are (text is far too close to the spine making reading of some pages difficult) and the book should be at least 20-30mm bigger on both dimensions - it wouldn't have cost anymore either. The text itself has all the hallmarks of being compiled on a PC, even down to the typefaces used with far too much underlining of words and over use of comma's (as the Golden book).

In terms of quality too I have to say it isn't very good, I'm sorry but it could be so much better for the price - the paper is low quality and too light, the cover material is not great and the design is very lacking. As touched on, yes it's content is brilliant and I admit it's look does hark to maybe the design of the period if that was the intention, but you know how you really look forward to something then feel a little deflated once in you hands? Like the jacket that doesn't quite fit right - that is a bit how I feel now!! Am I overly critical???
cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
Hello all
further to my last comment my copy duly arrived and I have to say Im glad I decided to get my personal copy signed and a low number as promised when I ordered. As a technical reference to A2's alone it's a first class production, however, and I really dont wish to be overly critical but at £70 is way over priced - as someone in the print publishing trade I believe it's true cost is likely to be around £10, albeit I guess that's irrelevent to most of us as it's worth is in enjoying it - to the man on the street the price we pay for both repro and original jackets is crazy!

What I would say is that typographically its really poor - John Chapman being a former graphic designer will tell you that for readablity text should be in columns with plenty of white space around - the borders around the text could be twice what they are (text is far too close to the spine making reading of some pages difficult) and the book should be at least 20-30mm bigger on both dimensions - it wouldn't have cost anymore either. The text itself has all the hallmarks of being compiled on a PC, even down to the typefaces used with far too much underlining of words and over use of comma's (as the Golden book).

In terms of quality too I have to say it isn't very good, I'm sorry but it could be so much better for the price - the paper is low quality and too light, the cover material is not great and the design is very lacking. As touched on, yes it's content is brilliant and I admit it's look does hark to maybe the design of the period if that was the intention, but you know how you really look forward to something then feel a little deflated once in you hands? Like the jacket that doesn't quite fit right - that is a bit how I feel now!! Am I overly critical???
cheers
Wayne

Wayne
Good review as it is based on your publishing expertise

Still haven't broken the cello seal on my copy yet so it is still unopened.

Your review in some ways makes me want to keep it sealed and to not be that disappointed
The content and comments from other members re information contained makes me still want "to open the box" though.

Decisions decisions !!

Andrew

Just do it Alan.

I have to say that I also appreciate Wayne's professional point of view and this may be normal for most books but i've since discovered that after I left it in my car on a warmish day the spine has become slightly twisted- hopefully itll sort itself out. The issues of sizing, fonts and paper don't bother me, but I have found that ive not been compelled to keep going through it.

I know it can't hold all the answers but I wanted to find out why one of my 27752's has the outer collar seam but there's not a mention of it. That's probably expecting a bit much.

Dr H

Persimmon said:
Wayne
Good review as it is based on your publishing expertise

Still haven't broken the cello seal on my copy yet so it is still unopened.

Your review in some ways makes me want to keep it sealed and to not be that disappointed
The content and comments from other members re information contained makes me still want "to open the box" though.

Decisions decisions !!

Buy another one Alan and keep the other one to flip on EBay in a year or two... ;)

johnwayne

Alan, my apologies but you've really got to open it - I'm really not sure its value will be affected not opening - it does has a limited readership!
Maybe I'm too hard on it as it is excellent content-wise and I'm glad to have it, my 'critique' aside! I'd like to think too that if Gary read's my comments he won't be offended and see them as constructive criticism's - the production cost of such a book is one thing and the time and effort putting together the research alone possibly can't be costed, but 1000 copies min at £70 a pop is a simple calculation so he won't have done bad out of it (and good luck to him)!!

Given the trade I'm in I've long thought about doing something similar myself but to put it bluntly, do not have the resources such as Garys superb collection at my disposal, in additon to what must be his encyclopedic knowledge gained since starting ELC.

In terms of the book content, personally I would have liked to read about how the construction of an A2 is undertaken and maybe less on proving by DNA test that cow/steerhide was used but that aside, it is the ultimate and possibly only real 'A2 manual'!!!

cheers
Wayne

Dr H

johnwayne said:
In terms of the book content, personally I would have liked to read about how the construction of an A2 is undertaken and maybe less on proving by DNA test that cow/steerhide was used

On the other hand - I'll be using some of that info in my lecture course on forensic analysis... ;)

Persimmon

Dr H said:
johnwayne said:
In terms of the book content, personally I would have liked to read about how the construction of an A2 is undertaken and maybe less on proving by DNA test that cow/steerhide was used

On the other hand - I'll be using some of that info in my lecture course on forensic analysis... ;)

Does Gary get a royalty payment on that then ??

Dr H

Not at all - the information is openly available (published) and the source will be referenced in the normal way.

Wait a minute, wait a minute - I could claim the book as a purchase for course material... :cool:

;)

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Not at all - the information is openly available (published) and the source will be referenced in the normal way.

Wait a minute, wait a minute - I could claim the book as a purchase for course material... :cool:

;)

There you go
Claim the money back. Or buy a second copy just for your own needs

siddhartha

Administrator
I purchased a copy, and it arrived a few days ago...

I am really, really impressed by the effort, and the obvious passion that went into this book. In terms of accuracy of information, I need to read it in detail for my assessment, but I am far less of an expert on these things than Gary Eastman, and many of you, so my opinion is just that, my opinion.

I highly recommend picking it up if you are at all interested in A-2 jackets. It has some info on A-1 jackets too, but it's limited (as stated in this thread by others).

Quite simply, it is THE current reference for this hobby, and is a great template for other reference books in general.

Great job, Gary, and I hope it goes into several printings

cve