• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 Repop inspiration needed

Thomas Koehle

Gentlemen,

beginning of this year i ordered a G1 at 5Star in russet in order to represent a WW2 used jacket. Got the bloodchit with the jacket and the USN stencils on the collar in yellow like BLOCK did in the 2nd WW.

Really like the jacket - craftmanship is solid - size is right - everything fine.

9bdaQUK.jpg

3qjsxIs.jpg

2Rr781V.jpg

Initially i planned to patch the jacket with WW2 squadrons/markings but since i saw this G1 on the forum i'm more like tempted to maybe personalize the jacket with some postwar squadron patches

(all photos "stolen" from our forum)
ugS7JdU.jpg

tH3eBZN.jpg

XAoolkx.jpg

there are some more patches on the backside of the jacket but i would customize the front only ...

Meanwhile got all the necessary patches - the patches on the original jacket look rather large/big which kind of irritated me until i recognized the jacket is size 36

xGgaFX9.jpg

but now since i collected all pieces i'm no longer sure whether i should stay with a WW2 theme (which i didn't finally decided on yet) or go the postwar "path"

due to that i'm looking for some inspiration/photos of WW2 G1/M422 jackets in RUSSET with patches ...

Maybe someone can help out?

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Indeed the patches have been made in different sizes - the "Tonkin Gulf" patch eg i purchased is larger in diameter than the one on the jacket shown

for the intruder patch i already have one in about 3.5" and got another one in 4" (the one on the pics)

Compared to a chest 36 my jacket which is in 48 looks remarkable larger which simply make the patches visually smaller in relation to the actual dimension of the jacket

Flightengineer

This is an interesting project, Thomas. However, as a patch collector, I want to say that the patches you bought are embroidered on modern "computer" machines, so they make the background overlay different from the patches of the 50s and 60s. This is immediately apparent. If that doesn't bother you, then it doesn't matter - but if you want to get closer to the original then it makes sense to look for older versions of these patches or more correct repro.

P-47 thunderbolt

I haven't looked but are there examples of m442a jackets with both wartime and postwar patches? I.e a vet that served in both ww2 and Korea? That may open up more options for you