• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 leather type

PeterB

As a newbie forgive my basic question. I have several 1970s G1s. 1970 Brill, 1976 Imperial and 1977 Ralph Edwards. The Brill i presume is goatskin But the Imperial and the Edwards seem a different type i presume cowhide. Can someone enlighten me please? I know a lot of people dont seem to like the Imperials but i think its a great heavy duty beater apart from the creaking!
From that period which do you think is the most collectible one?

Many thanks

Peter

Roughwear

Drum-rolled cow hide was used on some of the G-1s in the 1970s and you are correct in your assumptions about the later two contracts.

Marv

Roughwear said:
Drum-rolled cow hide was used on some of the G-1s in the 1970s and you are correct in your assumptions about the later two contracts.

I agree with Andrew, even the unissued PHARR G1 I picked up earlier in the year is made from cowhide which the correct thickness but tough as old boots so will not break in like the older goat G1s do.

Skyhawk

PeterB said:
Thanks so do you think the Brill is goatskin? It has the black label.
I have a 1975 Brill Bros G-1 and it is definitely cow hide. Thick and tough. It is a great jacket for motorcycle riding.