• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G&B HH color choices

CSG

One more question, if you don't mind. How close to accurate are the two HH colors from Gibson to original A2 jacket colors and which of the russet or mahogany (seal) would be the best call for a not quite detail specific historic A2? Is it just a matter of personal taste? I have samples of both but it's hard to imagine the whole jacket in either color.

Dave told me the colors won't wear like on an original because the dye process is different than it was done back in the day although the leather will break in otherwise.

I'm conflicted as to what to order. I also got a sample of the veg tanned goatskin but don't like it as well as the HH and already own a seal goat A2 from SOB.

A

Anonymous

G/B HH is nice but it will not wear like vintage HH. It will look the same for years. The historical goat in russet is the way to go IMHO. It looks and wears like the old vintage jackets in my eyes.

C.J.

I never owned a jacket from G&B, but I did have one from US Authentic that was dyed very much the same way. You're right, it's just not going to fade. To me, the fading and wear is the most desirable effect on a jacket. Even though I saved a few hundred bucks on the US-A, it ended up costing money in the long run. I was never happy with the jacket not fading with wear and ended up buying one that would.

CSG

Yes, I'm aware the color won't rub off over time but the leather will still break in. I own a 20 year old goatskin A2 that is similar. That's not really my question. My question is what color HH is truer to the originals, the russet or the mahogany? I'd love to be like Wild Bill and collect 'em all but my wife already thinks I'm nutz wanting buy one of these AND a G1 or M-422a.

C.J.

CSG said:
Yes, I'm aware the color won't rub off over time but the leather will still break in. I own a 20 year old goatskin A2 that is similar. That's not really my question. My question is what color HH is truer to the originals, the russet or the mahogany? I'd love to be like Wild Bill and collect 'em all but my wife already thinks I'm nutz wanting buy one of these AND a G1 of M-422a.

Sorry, dude. I was just telling you what I wish someone had told me back when I bought mine.

As for the color, judging by some recent photos, I think they both look pretty good, but I'd lean toward the russet, myself. It seems like russet was a more common color in WWII based on the frequency of seeing that shade in the color pictures from the war.

CSG

Aside from styling details and cut, can anyone compare the HH and veg goat from G&B to what John is using at GW?

bseal

G&B uses a pressed hide, meaning very smooth, while J.C. gets the gnarly stuff.

Ask each manufacturer to send you a sample, you'll see what I mean.

CSG

I'm waiting on some leather samples from John but I have some from G&B. G&B tells me their finish won't wear though and I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

SuinBruin

This isn't directly responsive, since you asked about horse, but you can scroll down to the bottom of this page to see an example of a G&B historical A-2 in goat with some wear to it....

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/eval_FSHA2.shtml

Of course, the types and qualities of hide used by each manufacturer vary over time, so you might not be able to get this leather from G&B any more. But it looks pretty dang good to me, so much so it helped me choose russet goat for my Goodwear Bronco.

CSG

Thanks SB, that's a great link. I'm going to have to order one to try on. That's the only way I'm going to really know about fit. The whole thing looks too baggy but then again, I'm not a skinny 25 year old any more either.

SuinBruin

Ordering a G&B to try on for fit is a good idea. They have a great 6 month no-questions-asked return policy, so there is very little downside to doing it that way (at least, if you live in the States... I understand their international shipping charges are pretty stiff).

http://www.flightsuits.com/info_guarantee.html

The only downside to G&B that I can see is their sleeve construction... something about the way they do it makes the upper sleeve area drape and crease funny. I've seen it on multiple jackets in multiple patterns... no idea why it happens, as their pattern and construction standards are otherwise impeccable.

Pope

I have G&B'as in Seal and russett. I like the russet better. When I bought it I asked them to use the grainest leather they had which they did and it came out looking pretty good. Still not as grainy as John's jackets but for G&B very nice. What's funny is I bought the seal HH off their sale rack, the gal I talked to said it was returned because the leather wasn't consistently smooth and the buyer thought it was defective, not one of the forum folks for sure.

Mike

CSG

I asked them about the sleeves as I've noticed they're huge. I asked if they can trim them down and it sounds like they'd prefer to stick to their basic patterns. Right now, I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse.

After talking to JC twice at some length and looking at his jackets, I'd get one of his in a heartbeat except for the wait time. I need a new jacket soon. I've even reconciled myself to spending more than the $300 I started out thinking a new A2 was going to cost. It's just that I want in NOW!