• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 manufacturer differences.

Hawkeye

As we all know in WW2 A-2 manufacturers seemed to have alot of lee-way in terms of jacket details as long as they stayed to the basic specs. Later on G-1 jackets from different manufacturers seem to be very similar with few noticeable differences. My question is, were the manufacturers specifically told to tighten up the design to be the exact same all around, and did any differences remain between jackets made by say, Star Sportswear, Ralph Edwards, etc?

CBI

California Sportswear: Contract for G-1's for 1960 only (manufactured for one year).

Jaydee

Hawkeye said:
My question is, were the manufacturers specifically told to tighten up the design to be the exact same all around, and did any differences remain between jackets made by say, Star Sportswear, Ralph Edwards, etc?
I would say yes, if you check out the specs on this website you will find them to be very detailed and specific. The specs don't go all the back to WWII, but they do cover the changes to the sythetic collar and cow hyde.
http://assistdocs.com/search/search_basic.cfm
You have to enter the document number to search:
Mil-J-7823