• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Leather Touch UP

Maverickson

Wondering if shoe polish should/could be used to cover up nicks and blemishes in my G-1. I believe the color to be seal brown. If you what brand and color would be the best application? Any ideas?

Atticus

Maverickson said:
Wondering if shoe polish should/could be used to cover up nicks and blemishes in my G-1. I believe the color to be seal brown. If you what brand and color would be the best application? Any ideas?

Hi Maverickson,

I don't know why dark brown paste shoe polish wouldn't work on a G-1. I'm not sure that I would use it on a valuable vintage jacket, but I once used it to cover up some scuffs on a civilian Cooper A-2 that I owned. It worked pretty well as I recall.

Actually, I like the scuffs and nips on vintage jackets. I like to look at the scuffs and wonder about the stories my jackets could tell.

AF

bfrench

Administrator
Maverickson said:

Hi, Maverickson,

I agree with Atticus about the shoe polishing working to cover scuffs.

My advice would be to try a spot about the size of your thumb nail on the back of the collar - brush it well with a soft shoe brush, final buff with a soft shoe polish cloth.

When it's all done it should be unnoticable if you've picked the correct color.

How about a before and after pic so we can all see the process?

Bill French

T-Bolt

Hey Maverickson,

Find a shoe repair shop that carries Meltonian Boot Creme. Meltonian is produced in many colors and a shoe repair shop usually would have the widest selection. They make several shades of medium to dark brown.

I have used Meltonian dozens of times to cover up wear spots, scuffs and flaws in both G-1's and A-2's. It works great! Several light coats is better than one heavy one. Be sure to let it set for 10-15 minutes and then lightly buff it with a soft cotton cloth.

Ted

442RCT

Actually said:
I completely agree with you about jackets that have that patina of experience.

When I met my future 14 yr. old stepson, I was wearing my favorite patched G-1. It was a jacket that showed experience. He asked me if I was financially OK. I asked him why he thought I wasn't. He said that jacket I was wearing was...ummm, you know kinda old and worn out. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Atticus

442RCT said:
...When I met my future 14 yr. old stepson, I was wearing my favorite patched G-1...He asked me if I was financially OK.....

When my girlfriend's sons were about that age, I offered to buy them each a vintage G-1 or a current-issue A-2---their choice. They both politely turned me down. Aaron told me that, nowdays, cool kids didn't wear old thrift-shop stuff like kids did when I was young.

AF

Mac

Pecard Leather Dressing comes in brown. From their site: "This leather dressing cleans, conditions, preserves and weatherproofs all smooth leathers. Re-colors minor abrasions and rejuvenates leather surfaces."

Mac

watchmanjimg

442RCT said:
. . . I was wearing my favorite patched G-1. It was a jacket that showed experience. He asked me if I was financially OK.

Actually, no. I spend all my $@%^&* money on jackets! :lol:

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
nowdays, cool kids didn't wear old thrift-shop stuff like kids did when I was young.
God, I hate the youth of today, if it doesn't have a huge brand name across it they don't wanna know. Now in my day........

442RCT

God, I hate the youth of today, if it doesn't have a huge brand name across it they don't wanna know. Now in my day........
Seems to me things aren't too different, the 'brand' names I see here are ones like; Dubow, Rough Wear, Poughkeepsie, Aero, Bronco, Monarch, Cable, Werber, Eastman...etc. :lol:

FLATHEAD

Atticus said:
442RCT said:
...When I met my future 14 yr. old stepson, I was wearing my favorite patched G-1...He asked me if I was financially OK.....

When my girlfriend's sons were about that age, I offered to buy them each a vintage G-1 or a current-issue A-2---their choice. They both politely turned me down. Aaron told me that, nowdays, cool kids didn't wear old thrift-shop stuff like kids did when I was young.

AF

This is kind of strange.

How many times, recently, have you seen kids wearing those really long shorts, that are almost
down past their calves, and these shorts have that "worn" look around the edges of the pockets,
and all the seams? And the cargo pockets that are all messy looking, with the flaps all wrinkled up,
and frayed?

Or jeans that have that "worn" look where the area around the thighs is a much lighter blue
color, or almost white?

When my jeans get holes in them, I either throw them out, or just wear them to paint
in, or to work on my old Jeep.

Or baseball hats? Look how many kids wear the hats with the edges all frayed up. And thats
how they look right out of the store, when they are new!

How is this any different than an old vintage G-1 showing its patina?

I just don't get it, why the kids would say they don't like the thrift store look of the
jacket, when just about all their regular clothes look like that?

Jim

dujardin

no idea about brown shoe polish but long time ago i refresh my father's bike jacket with black shoe polish and it work perfectly. easy to do because as the song said . black is black.
as mentioned, how to found the perfect brown to use on your jacket??? not too light, not too dark, not to red.....

byeeeeeeeee marcel

CHECK6

My 9 YEARS OLD DAUGHTER ASK ME IF SHE COULD HAVE ONE OF MY A2 WHEN SHE WILL BE TALL(am i a so good educator)she s got a dark blue MA 1 patched with FIFINELLA,and my wife says i gave my daughter my virus,yesssssssss
have a nice sunday
FAB

dujardin

CHECK6 said:
My 9 YEARS OLD DAUGHTER ASK ME IF SHE COULD HAVE ONE OF MY A2 WHEN SHE WILL BE TALL(am i a so good educator)she s got a dark blue MA 1 patched with FIFINELLA,and my wife says i gave my daughter my virus,yesssssssss
have a nice sunday
FAB

hello Fab,

keep a little of this virus for me; at this time my daugter is not much interested by my old leather....
she's only focussed on his damn.... game called WII (pronounce weeeeeeeeeeee).
byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

CHECK6

HI MARCEL,

She also have the "Wii" but she is not a game addict(what a chance)she s only 9 so what will be the future, may be still in that way ,may be in the opposit ,i trust in her when she wants something ,she is got it
see you soon
FAB

handworn

Just add a W to her fascination. That would make it WWII, right?

dujardin said:
hello Fab,

keep a little of this virus for me; at this time my daugter is not much interested by my old leather....
she's only focussed on his damn.... game called WII (pronounce weeeeeeeeeeee).
byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

handworn

They're brainwashed by TV.

"The Force can have a powerful effect on the weak-minded."

Peter Graham said:
Atticus said:
nowdays, cool kids didn't wear old thrift-shop stuff like kids did when I was young.