• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Avirex Leather Jacket

Beastly

This is my first flight jacket and would like any information I can get about it. I tried to do some research on it and got mixed results. Is it military issue, did Avirex make jackets for the USN, about when was it made? I collect WW1& WW2 field gear but this is my first jacket and I don't know anything. Is it collectable? What about the white USN stenciled under collar instead of stamped on the wind flap under the zipper? [/

Last edited:

Steve27752

Hi, Welcome to VLJ. Posting pictures always helps, I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. Avirex made A2 and G-1 reproduction flight jackets from the mid 1970s onwards. The company was founded in 1975. They are usually well constructed jackets, but are not accurate reproductions. In 1987 the company became an official Government contract supplier with A-2 jackets for the United States Air Force.

Beastly

Welcome to the forum. Avirex made A2 and G-1 reproduction flight jackets from the mid 1970s onwards. The company was founded in 1975. They are usually well constructed jackets, but are not accurate reproductions. In 1987 the company became an official Government contract supplier with A-2 jackets for the United States Air Force.
Thanks for the info I figured out how to post pictures now if you would look at my post again as I would like to know if it's collectable and about the USN stincill under collar instead of stamped on the wind flap under the zipper. Thanks

Roughwear

Avirex jackets are not really collectable jackets as they are poor reproductions. They sell cheaply on Ebay. The stencilling behind the collar is an attempt to replicate the stencil on Wartime M442A naval jackets, especially those by Block, which were done in yellow paint.

Beastly

Avirex jackets are not really collectable jackets as they are poor reproductions. They sell cheaply on Ebay. The stencilling behind the collar is an attempt to replicate the stencil on Wartime M442A naval jackets, especially those by Block, which were done in yellow paint.
Thanks for the info. If you would be as kind to pass on some advice as I'm looking to get a B-3 and an A-2, so I don't make the same mistake. What to look for and good manufacture, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and God Bless.

Roughwear

It depends on whether you want a new or second hand B-3 or A2. There are several highly regarded makers and their jackets are reviewed on VLJ in the Review section and in the Reproduction section, such as Goodwear, Eastman and Diamond Clothing.