• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foster G-1 jackets

chrgod2

A little history of my first two G-1 jackets.

I bought my first vintage flight jacket back in 2002, long time before I knew of any Internet forums.. :)

Since I had served as an Aircraft technician on P3 Orion ASW aircraft I wanted an Navy jacket (even though here in Norway they are operated by the Air Force). The G-1 also seemed to me a more refined design than the A-2. The golden collar G-1s of the sixties was the best!

After some eBay hunting, I ended up with a 1963 Foster. Not the best jacket out there, but I did not know any better and the price was good.

After two months (!) it came to Norway. And to my disappointment it was way too small. Of course, I did not know that they was so small in size. Also, the arms was very short.. Gorgeous collar and nice leather, though.

G-1_front.jpg

G-1_back.jpg

G-1_fur.jpg

label1-1.jpg

G-1_fur_USN.jpg

G-1_conmarZipper2.jpg

G-1_cuffs.jpg

Well.. The jacket was stored in the box it arrived. I forgot about getting me a flight jacket, until it turned up again last year. I was sold and I started to search for a new jacket.

Finally, last week I gave in and bought me a new, old, jacket. It turned out to be another Foster, an earlier 55J14 this time. :) It is on its way over the Atlantic at the moment.

BUAERUSNavyG1FlightJacketMUSTSEE.jpg

Maybe not a bargain at 200 USD, but it appears to be a nice, usable jacket. Any comments? How does Fosters compare to other manufactures? :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200234716233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

I will probably get shot for saying this, but G-1's/ M-422's are my favorite of the military jackets. And you have two great ones there. I just bought my third one two days ago. None of mine are older than the 70's so they don't have the same character as yours. Wear them in good health.

oose

Hi
Great looking jacket, I love these Foster G-1 real quality jacket, I own two Fosters both 7823, have one at Areo getting new zip and cuffs at the moment and can't wait to get it back, Its the perfect jacket for the damp English climate. Enjoy

The price is not bad, when you consider that for that money you could not get half a good repro and that the $ is weak at the moment. Plus by the time I've replace the zip and cuffs on my L.W. Foster 7823 The total cost comes to around £100 / $200.

First jacket
G-1i.jpg

New jacket
la.jpg

yours stu

Jason

I've got a pair of Irvin B Foster 7823B jackets, and love them both. They're superb quality, very comfortable, practical and eye catching. The only other 7823B maker was Ralph Edwards - both makers have a good reputation. Quality started to slide in the 7823D jackets - though if you consider an early 7823E (1971 on) to todays jackets, they're still quite good.
I would say your I B Foster has had its sleeves shortened quite a lot by the looks of it.

The price you paid for the 55J14 wasn't too bad...

Its all about condition. I think I'd be pretty close to the mark saying that the closer to 100% condition you get, the price goes up steeply eg: a 90% condition jacket may only fetch half that of a 100% condition jacket.
Plus rarity comes into it as well, your 55J14 is more desirable than the 7823 (in theory, but I still really love my 7823B)

chrgod2

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Cool jackets, oose! I like the subtle differences between the different contracts, different pocket flaps and different USN on the wind flap.

I read on "Roger Moores jacket review pages" that the Fosters had a wider fit on the shoulders, more suitable to modern bodies. It will be interesting to see how it fits me.

I have the impression that vintage flight jackets are cheaper now than before. Even genuine WW2 A-2s are within reach.. at least the rough examples. Think I will search for a well-used "beater-jacket" A-2 or G-1 which I can customize with a vintagized name patch. :)

oose

Hi

What's with the red zipper tape???
(Bet you were waiting for that question!! :D )

Well here it is in all its glory, the guy who sold it to me felt it made the jacket "stand apart" from other G-1's ! Still waiting for a new home I'm sure someone out there is desperate for a pink Talon!!

talon.jpg

talon2.jpg

yours stu